Re: West Nile Virus

  • wildlightphoto@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 11, 2009
      My unscientific observations have suggested a recovery of corvid
      populations in my area (eastern Sacramento county), including a flock of 20
      or so American Crows roosting in my cottonwood tree a few days ago, a sight
      I haven't seen in several years.

      My theory is that the pre-West Nile Virus gene pool had enough diversity
      that some individuals were more resistant to the virus than others, and
      that the offspring of these resistant birds are the ones we're seeing now.
      What may have been disasterous for these species would have been an
      additional environmental stress, for example a significant climatic change,
      at the time when the corvid populations were lowest. They've probably lost
      some genetic diversity in the near term but this should come back
      eventually. Again, my conjecture not based on controlled observations.

      Doug Herr
      Orangevale (eastern Sacramento County)
      http://www.wildlightphoto.com

    • erpfromca@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 11, 2009
        At the risk of further extending this extended string, I'd like to point out
        that there have been some papers published recently on the declines in CA
        (in the Central Valley, in particular) of Yellow-billed Magpies, Scrub Jays and
        other birds and the possible role of West Nile Virus. I suggest folks read:
        Crosbie et al. 2008 Auk 125:542-550, Airola et al. 2007 Central Valley Bird
        Club Bulletin 10:1-22. Also, more recently I published some follow up CBC data
        in the Central Valley Bird Club Bulletin 11:37-44. and 11:53-61.

        Ed Pandolfino
        Carmichael
        steps!
        (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1219671244x1201345076/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID