Re: [CALBIRDS] Western Scrub Jay populations in California

  • BRUCE DEUEL
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 10, 2009
      Others can confirm this, but it's my understanding that Western Scrub-jays
      are one of the species most susceptible to West Nile Virus.
      Cheers,
      Bruce Deuel
      Red Bluff
      On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 9:38 PM, john small <joutandabout@...> wrote:

      > Very good evening birders. I have what I believe to an important question.
      > I live in the Torrance area. And I have not seen a Western Scrub Jay in my
      > area in over a couple of years. Have any California birders also noticed
      > declines of Scrub Jays in their area? This
      > could be a topic of serious concern.
      >
      > Good Birding
      > John Small
      > Torrance,CA

      > these addresses:
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • D.Fenner
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 10, 2009
        I have noticed a proportionate increase, if not more, in the population of
        American Crows, at least in south San Diego county.

        Dave Fenner
        Nestor, CA

      • Ed Stonick
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 10, 2009
          Hi all!

          Where I live and bird (Pasadena, San Gabriel Valley) crow populations really plummeted a few years ago and are just now coming back. Jay populations were quite low as well. Now I'm seeing them again near my home and where I work (South Pasadena).

          House Finch populations also seemed quite low for a few years. I don't know if they were affected as much by West Nile or some other disease. Two weeks ago at Santa Fe Dam, I saw a flock of 50-60, which is the biggest number I can remember in at least five years.

          --Ed

          >Others can confirm this, but it's my understanding that Western Scrub-jays
          >are one of the species most susceptible to West Nile Virus.
          >Cheers,
          >Bruce Deuel
          >Red Bluff
          >On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 9:38 PM, john small <joutandabout@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Very good evening birders. I have what I believe to an important question.
          >> I live in the Torrance area. And I have not seen a Western Scrub Jay in my
          >> area in over a couple of years. Have any California birders also noticed
          >> declines of Scrub Jays in their area? This
          >> could be a topic of serious concern.
          >>
          >> Good Birding
          >> John Small
          >> Torrance,CA

          >> For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My
          >> Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank email to
          >> these addresses:
          >> Turn off email delivery: mailto:CALBIRDS-nomail@yahoogroups.com
          >> Resume email delivery: mailto:CALBIRDS-normal@yahoogroups.com
          >>
          >> Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Scott Crosbie
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 10, 2009
            I've been running point transects for scrub-jays (among others) throughout the Central Valley and the Central Coast Ranges for the past year.  I see LOTS of them.  They are one of the more susceptible birds to WNV and since I don't have pre-WNV data on their abundance in these areas I can't say how much they have decreased since WNV establishment.  But, I can safely say there are currently several million jays in the CV and Central Coast areas.
            Smile...

            Scott
            Sacramento

            --- On Mon, 3/9/09, john small <joutandabout@...> wrote:

            ...Have any California birders also noticed declines of Scrub Jays in their area? This could be a topic of serious concern.

          • Chazz Hesselein
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 10, 2009
              Is it possible that West Nile Virus is affecting Western Scrub Jay
              populations?

              Chazz Hesselein
              Mobile, AL
            • Richard Cimino
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 11, 2009
                In Southern California is there a shortage of Oak Tree acorn production?
                Rich Cimino
                Alameda County
                xxx
                Scrub jays have this compulsive urge to collect acorns, eat a couple and then stash the rest for later. Only �later� never comes for the majority of those stashed acorns and they eventually sprout and start to grow.
                I received a recent e-mail from Brian relating a chat he�d had with a UC-Berkeley forestry professor who had a graduate student who was doing a study of scrub jays. The student watched what the jay�s were stashing and counted over 4,000 acorns stashed in one season.
                Brian is a wonderful wildlife photographer and therefore a student of careful observation and a very practical man. He has observed that when presented with acorns the jays look for places to stash them, like pushing them into the ground under little rocks, sticks, etc.
                So Brian figures if you were to pick a spot where you wanted new oak trees to be planted and there are scrub jays in the area, you could spend a couple of minutes dropping little rocks and other items around the area marking where you�d like the oak trees to be planted. Then set up an �acorn distribution center� � large bowl filled with acorns for the jays to stash � and stand back.
                The jays take acorns from the pile and poke them into the earth under the little rocks and other items and PRESTO � those acorns have all been planted � right where you want them to be planted.
                �It�s a seasonal project,� says Brian. �Fall, collect acorns and put out little rock markers. Spring, go out, check for seedlings and screen them.� (You circle small oak seedlings with wire screens to protect them from browsing deer until the seedlings grow large enough to survive on their own.)
                Brian says he thought this would be a great �kid friendly� project to get children out into the open spaces, to get them hooked on wanting to be future stewards of the land.

                Richard Cimino
                rscimino@...
                Da Pacem Cordium