Possible First-winter Slaty-backed Gull at Moss Landing Harbor, 1 March 2009

  • Brian Sullivan
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2009
      Birders

      I found an interesting gull today at Moss Landing that shows many characters
      consistent with Slaty-backed Gull. It immediately stuck out as being a bit
      more barrel-chested, pale-headed and narrower-billed than nearby Western
      Gulls. It also shows a tail and primary pattern consistent with
      Slaty-backed. We see lots of WEGU x GWGU hybrids here, and this bird did not
      strike me as one. There's always GWGU x HERG to consider as well, but this
      bird was not typical for that pairing either. I welcome any input on the
      bird. Photos are here:

      http://briansullivanphotography.com/Galleries/SBGU_1/index.html

      Thanks

      Brian