Fw: [sbcobirding] March 1 Pelagic Trip for Parakeet Auklets and more

  • Wes Fritz
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 20, 2009
      From: Wes Fritz
      To: CALBRDS@...
      Sent: Friday, February 20, 2009 10:05 PM
      Subject: Fw: [sbcobirding] March 1 Pelagic Trip for Parakeet Auklets and more

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Wes Fritz
      To: CALBIRDS@...
      Sent: Friday, February 20, 2009 9:44 PM

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Wes Fritz
      To: venturacobirding@yahoogroups.com ; slocobirding@yahoogroups.com ; sbcobirding@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, February 13, 2009 9:50 PM

      The March 1 Pelagic Trip for Parakeet Auklets and more is now a GO. If you are interested, it's time to sign up.

      You may be aware that two recent pelagic trips during January in San
      Luis Obispo County waters found Parakeet Auklets. Also, the April 2007
      pelagic on the Condor Express found seven of this species in Ventura
      County waters. Thus, a "chase" trip has been organized for Sunday,
      March 1, out of Santa Barbara on the large and fast boat the "Condor
      Express." The boat would go out for 8 hours, and the cost is $150. A
      minimum of 40 people is needed to make the trip a reality, which is
      apparently the number that the Condor Express would need to break even.
      This trip will also be a good opportunity to see other species such as
      Short-tailed Shearwater and Ancient Murrelet. And when you're out in
      the deep waters beyond the islands, there are often other surprises.

      Obviously there is a bit of a time crunch to put the trip together, so
      please sign up ASAP.

      This trip is scheduled for March 1st. We realize that this is a Sunday,
      but the chances of us getting a few more participants is much higher
      compared to sailing on the Saturday (Feb 28), due in part to another
      pelagic trip that is sold out on the Saturday off L.A. Weather
      permitting, we will be birding in areas that are underbirded at this
      time of the year. We will head toward Point Conception, then Point
      Arguello. Once we reach this area we will move out to deeper water and
      then head south. Again this all depends on the weather. We may also try
      and bird out behind San Miguel Island.

      If you are interested, the cost is $150 . The trip will leave from the
      Santa Barbara Harbor. It will last 8 hours, departing at 7:00 AM and
      returning around 4:00 PM. We need 40 participants to register by Feb.
      21st, or the boat will not go. The leaders will be Todd McGrath, Paul
      Lehman, and Wes Fritz. If you would like to go, contact the Condor
      Express to make reservations. On the morning of the trip, check in
      around 6:30 AM and bring your parking stub and they will validate it for
      you; it saves you a few dollars. The Condor Express also has a full galley that serves hot meals.

      You can reach Sea Landing to make reservations for the Condor Express by
      calling (805) 963-3564 or (805) 882-0088.
      http://www.sealanding.net/pages/activities.asp?mid=2&tid=0

      Wes Fritz
      Solvang, Ca.
      (805) 895-0685