SBT COUNTY: PAICINES RESERVOIR

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 19, 2009
      Howdy, Birders,

      Paicines Reservoir this morning was beautiful in the morning
      sunlight, after those rainy days. I birded from 8:30 am until 9:45
      am. Highlights included: a possible RUFF on the northeast side of the
      edge of the water, quite a long distance when scoping from the pull
      out lot. I would love it, if someone else could confirm this ID.

      PLEASE NOTE: There is a new sign on the gate on the dike at the
      pullout which says, "BIRDERS- Please enjoy our birds from the other
      side of this gate." So, please do not go through the gate, and walk
      on the dike.

      In addition to the possible Ruff, two CASSIN'S KINGBIRDS were on the
      telephone wires at the north end of the pullout when I arrived. By
      the time I left, they were hunting from the single, leafless willow
      tree in the dried out part of the reservoir. One TREE SWALLOW was
      hawking over the water. A good variety of ducks/waterfowl was
      present: Common and Hooded Mergansers, Ring-necked Ducks, Cinnamon
      and Green-winged Teal, Gadwall, Canvasbacks, Ruddy Ducks, American
      Widgeon, Clark's/Western Grebes, one White Pelican, and about 46 peeps.

      On Quien Sabe Road, I found 2 FERRUGINOUS HAWKS, 18 LONG-BILLED
      CURLEWS, one BURROWING OWL, and one adult BALD EAGLE. A BOBCAT was
      hunting ground squirrels on the hillside. SNOW could still be seen
      covering the Diablo Mountains!

      On Santa Ana Valley Road, a subadult GOLDEN EAGLE was hunting ground
      squirrels.

      Hope to see you out there!
      Debra

      Debra Shearwater
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527
      debi@...
      www.shearwaterjourneys.com

      *Antarctica, South Georgia, & The Falkland Islands, January 5-24, 2010*
      Shearwater Journeys' Exclusive Charter