Again - Pelagic Trip for Feb 22 out of Fort Bragg, Mendocino County

  • mendocinorjk
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2009
      To repeat, The Peregrine Audubon Society of Mendocino County has a
      scheduled PELAGIC TRIP for February 22nd (Sunday)out of Fort Bragg
      aboard the TREK II (Anchor Charters). The goal will be to get as far
      off shore as possible in search of birds and marine mammals. Cost per
      person is $99 with a $25 option to help support student (enrolled &
      over 18) participation. Student rate is $75. Reservations are based
      upon order of firm commitments and payment. Contact Bob Keiffer
      rjkeiffer@... ... for payment and trip details. There are
      about 8 spaces left.

      I would like to add that Noyo Harbor prices tend to be higher than
      Monterey or southern California harbors (Debi Shearwater found this
      out years ago). I have personally organized many pelagics out of Noyo
      in years past ... prior to the Shearwater Journeys trips. Keep in mind
      that Shearwater Journeys advertises many of the Fort Bragg summer/fall
      trips as possible "mega-rarity" trips. MEN has produced some great
      birds ... Shy Albatross, Streaked Shearwater, Hawaiian Petrels,
      Murphy's Petrels, thick-billed Murres and Manx Shearwaters during
      spring/summer/fall trips. Research Vessel trips in MEN waters have
      produced Masked Booby, Cook's Petrel, Red-tailed Triopicbird, and
      Parakeet Auklets. One past trip had 12 species of marine mammals.

      Our charter boat base price is $2100 for a full 8-hour day trip with
      an almost 100% guarantee of reaching deep waters (Noyo Canyon or
      Navarro Canyon) and many times venturing to 25 to 35 miles out. We
      will have local leaders/participants who know the expected local birds
      well. The charter boat is 52 feet long ...and 24 - 28 people makes for
      a comfortable trip (not too crowded). So, for the skeptics ... you
      do the math. We invite all to participate to share in the adventure
      and the excitement of the "unexpected" as there have been almost no
      winter pelagic trips in MEN waters prior to this one.

      PS ...if you want a whale-watching trip on other days, where the boat
      idles along about 1 mile offshore following gray whales, then Anchor
      Charters charges $35 per person (but you probably won't see any rare
      birds!)

      Bob Keiffer - Hopland (Mendocino County) rjkeiffer@...