Parakeet Auklet chase boat on March 1

  • Lethaby, Nick
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2009
      All:

      After the recent occurrence of Parakeet Auklets off SLO, we're attempting to organize a pelagic out of Santa Barbara on March 1 to search for this species in the Pt Arguello area and further offshore. This general area has a previous history of Parakeet Auklet sightings. We'll be using the Condor Express. The focus will be looking for Parakeet Auklets and other Alicides, but should have a reasonable chance of Short-tailed Shearwater and other winter specialties. If the weather is permitting, we will be birding in areas that are under birded, at this time of the year. We will try and reach Point Conception then Point Argeullo. This area is the North end of the California bite. Once we reach this area we will head out to some deeper water and then start to head South. Again this all depends on the weather. We may also try and bird out behind San Miguel Island. We will have to make those decisions that morning if we can get enough participants.

      If you are interested, the cost will be $150. It will leave from the Santa Barbara Harbor, it will be a 8 hour pelagic trip. It will leave at 7:00 am and return around 4:00 pm, We need 40 participants to register by Feb. 21st, or the boat will not go. The leaders will be Todd McGrath, Paul Lehman and Wes Fritz. If you decide you want to go, contact the Condor Express to make reservations. On the morning of the trip, check in around 6:30am and bring your parking stub and they will validate it for you, it saves you a few dollars

      You can reach Sea Landing to make reservations for the Condor Express by calling (805) 963-3564 or (805) 882-0088
      http://www.sealanding.net/pages/activities.asp?mid=2&tid=0

      Regards,

      Nick Lethaby
      805 562 5106