LA Audubon pelagic; Feb 28

  • feenstra@alumni.caltech.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2009
      California birders,

      It's been a couple of years, but Los Angeles Audubon has once again put
      together a pelagic trip to the Redondo Canyon and Palos Verdes Escarpment
      off the coast of southern Los Angeles County.
      This is an 8 hour trip leaving from San Pedro at 7:30 AM.
      We expect to find large numbers of Black-vented Shearwaters and run the
      possibility of seeing a few Short-tailed Shearwaters, Pink-footed
      Shearwaters, Sooty Shearwaters, and Northern Fulmars. Expected alcids
      include Cassin's and Rhinoceros Auklets, Common Murre, and possibly
      Xantus's Murrelet. Pomarine and Parasitic Jaegers are also likely.

      We will also be checking the breakwater to/from the harbor, a place for
      rocky shorebirds and whatever else may be perched on it (boobies have
      occurred).

      In past trips at this time of year we've enountered such rarities as Manx
      Shearwater, Glaucous Gull, and Ancient Murrelet.

      See the LA Audubon website for the offial announcement and sign-up
      information:
      http://losangelesaudubon.org

      Information about this and other Southern California pelagic trips of 2009
      is also listed on:
      www.socalbirding.com

      Feel free to contact me off-list with any other trip-related questions.

      Jon Feenstra
      Los Angeles