O.C. Pelagic Trip List - PLUS - Seabirds, Dolphins & Whales Trip Jan 31

  • Terry Hunefeld
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2009
      Greetings

      The Sea & Sage Audubon trip from Orange County's Dana Point Harbor
      this past Saturday (Jan 10) was a phenomenal trip. We saw 8 Pomarine
      Jaegers, a Short-tailed Shearwater, a Sooty Shearwater, 2 Xantus's
      Murrelet, 2 Common Murre and 2 species of dolphin. Everybody had a
      wonderful time.

      Full trip report, species seen list plus more than 100 trip photos:
      http://www.socalbirding.com/tripreports/jan102009danapoint.html
      or http://www.socalbirding.com and click on the "trip reports" link

      NEXT SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA PELAGIC TRIP

      The Buena Vista Audubon 3rd Annual "Seabirds, Dolphins and Whales"
      half-day pelagic trip goes out Saturday morning, Jan 31 from
      Helgren's Sportfishing and Whale Watching in Oceanside Harbor.

      This pelagic is a bargain at only $40 – the past two winter trips
      from Oceanside have sold out. Two to four Gray Whales a day are
      being seen by Helgren's off Oceanside every day; more than 100 have
      been sighted since mid-December, plus 3 calves. We should also get
      some great dolphin shows: Bottlenose, Common, Risso's and perhaps
      Pacific White-sided.

      The Jan 31 trip is a great opportunity to see a Short-tailed
      Shearwater. The first record of Manx Shearwater for San Diego was
      recorded in these waters off Oceanside on 28 Apr 2004. A Black-
      legged Kittiwake or Ancient Murrelet could turn up on this trip.

      We'll have excellent leaders/spotters aboard to help you see and
      identify the birds and marine mammals we encounter: Guy McCaskie,
      Todd McGrath, Jon Feenstra, Peter Ginsburg, Stan Walens and Terry
      Hunefeld.

      More details and reservation information at:
      http://www.socalbirding.com/upcomingtrips/oceansidejan312009.html
      or http://www.socalbirding.com and click on the "upcoming trips" link

      --
      W. Terry Hunefeld
      Life is short.

      Seabirding Trips From San Diego
      Buena Vista Audubon Society
      http://www.SoCalBirding.com
      Los Coronados Islands
      Nine-mile, Thirty-mile, Sixty-mile Banks
      Cortes & Tanner Banks
      Channel Islands