Black-tailed Gull photos.

  • Alvaro Jaramillo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2009
      Folks

      Just this morning I received the photos of the gull at Princeton Harbor,
      San Mateo County taken by British birder Chris Gibbins on Dec 29. There is
      no doubt about the identification of the bird in the photos - it is an adult
      Black-tailed Gull. There are two photos of the bird in the water and one in
      flight. It is just a classic Black-tailed Gull.

      Several of us have been looking for it, but really there has
      been little interest in this bird essentially because we had news that was
      third hand. If more eyes get out here looking in various parts of the coast,
      the reservoirs along hwy 92, and in particular just roam looking for gulls
      we may find it. The one thing we know is that it is not a regular in
      Princeton Harbor, as I have checked that spot and the harbor several times
      with no luck. The observer said the bird came in to bathe for a few minutes
      and then took off, this was at the mouth of Denniston Creek roughly opposite
      where Coastal Lifestyles gym is in Princeton (Pillar Point Harbor).
      Essentially it could be anywhere, but coastal San Mateo county should be
      scrutinized more than we have been able to do thus far. Also red alert for
      San Francisco and Santa Cruz counties!

      Good luck everyone - it would be so cool if we could pin down this bird.

      Alvaro

      Alvaro Jaramillo

      chucao@...

      Half Moon Bay, California