Misc good birds -Big Sur, Point Lobos and Santa Cruz

  • Robert Garriock
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2009
      Big Sur at the Pfeiffer burns state park area were 6-7 CALIFORNIA
      CONDORS. Three at the park and the rest further north. Condors are
      likely not an uncommon bird at the park but a first for me.

      Point lobos had an albino or leucistic RED-BREASTED MERGANSER at
      Weston beach. The bird was with another RED-BREASTED MERGANSER
      (female). I am not 100% sure the bird was a red-breasted since the
      color pattern of the bird was very much absent.

      There was also a pair of MARBLED MURRELETS, 10 or so WHITE-THROATED
      SWIFTS and good number of whales. 8-10 grays, 15 or so humpbacks and
      a large mixed group of feeding dolphins(200+)that included common,
      norther right whale and risso's dolphins outside the group. There
      were likely more species in the group.

      At a small park in Santa Cruz (Garfield park) was a RINGED TURTLE
      DOVE with some EURASIAN COLLARED DOVES.

      cheers Rob
      Robert Garriock, San Francisco, CA