Misc good birds -Big Sur, Point Lobos and anta cruz

  • Robert Garriock
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2009
      Big Sur at the Pfeiffer burns state park area were 6-7 CALIFORNIA
      CONDORS. Three at the park and the rest further north. Condors are
      likely not an uncommon bird at the park but a first for me.

      Point lobos had an albino or leucistic RED-BREASTED MERGANSER at
      Weston beach. The bird was with another RED-BREASTED MERGANSER
      (female). I am not 100% sure the bird was a red-breasted since the
      color pattern of the bird was very much absent.

      There was also a pair of MARBLED MURRELETS and good whales. 8-10
      grays, 15 or so humpbacks and a large mixed group of feeding
      dolphins(200+)that included common, norther right whale and risso's
      dolphins outside the group. There might have been more species in the
      group.

      At a small park in Santa cruz (Garfield park) was a RINGED TURTLE
      DOVE with some EURASIAN COLLARED DOVES.

      cheers Robert Garriock, San Francisco, CA