STELLER'S ALBATROSS: DECEMBER 29, 2008

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2009
      Happy New Year, Seabirders!

      It is my pleasure to relay an exciting report of an immature
      STELLER'S ALBATROSS (Short-tailed Albatross). It was reported to me
      by Vince Orsini who saw it on December 29, 2008 just north of the
      Cordell Banks in 1100 feet of water at 38 07.21 and 123 28.74. Vince
      reported that the albatross flew within 100 feet of his boat, Miss
      Anita, at least a dozen times. Vince, his partner, Ed, and four
      passengers were on board. One of the passengers may have obtained
      defining photographic images that should be forthcoming.

      Many of Shearwater Journeys' participants will remember Vince well,
      as he first began trips with us as a deckhand in Monterey in 1985.
      Even in the 1980's Vince was an avid seabirder, who pointed out many
      lifers. He later joined us for many years on our trips departing from
      Bodega Bay where he was on board the one and only pelagic trip that
      traveled from Bodega Bay to Fort Bragg and back´┐Ż discovering North
      America's fist record of an adult White-capped Albatross! (Shy
      Albatross).

      What a way to end the year!

      Albatrosses forever,
      Debra

      Debra Shearwater
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527
      debi@...
      www.shearwaterjourneys.com

      *Antarctica, South Georgia, & The Falkland Islands, January 5-24, 2010*
      Shearwater Journeys' Exclusive Charter