Help with CBC "miles walked" total

  • Joseph Morlan
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 21, 2008
      Clay Taylor reported an interesting method to calculate Christmas Bird
      Count miles walked using Google Earth.

      http://listserv.arizona.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0812c&L=birdwg01&T=0&P=3320

      I used Taylor's method to calculate miles walked in our area on the
      Crystal Springs CBC yesterday. Our original reported estimate was 3 miles.
      Actual miles using the Google Earth method was 4.80.

      --
      Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
      Birding Classes start Feb 3 in SF http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 21, 2008
        ...which seems like too large a discrepancy for such a small distance.
        For those of us with GPS units, the trip computer function, of course,
        is a great tool. I keep mine with me and running all day and subtract
        my car trip meter distance from my GPS distance to get foot-miles.

        Ken Burton
        Arcata