Bald Eagle Behavior Note from John Schmitt

  • Bob Barnes
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2008
      Bald Eagle Behavior Note from John Schmitt
      Isabella Reservoir, Wofford Heights, Kern County

      "I have observed my first Bald Eagle of the season; an adult eagle
      has been observed on 10 and 11 DEC in the North Fork Delta. The first
      observation was eventful! I observed it catch a sizable fish in a
      manner that I haven't observed since April of 1975. After circling
      twice low over the water, it made a slow, controlled, feet first
      plunge into the water. It
      floated on the water's surface like a goose for the next one or two
      minutes before swimming to a large log beached in shallow water. It
      swam by employing its wings in a slow and ponderous rowing motion. In
      this fashion it crossed about 50ft to the log in about 5 min. where
      it hauled itself and a thickset 12 to 15 inch fish(carp?) up onto the
      log. Here, with a company of gulls wheeling about, and a pair of
      ravens sharing the log, the eagle set to eating its fish."

      YB & RN Sapsucker Update

      "Just a quick update for the "Tillie Creek Campground Bird
      Scene". Three species of sapsucker are still being seen regularly. I
      am now able to locate the YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER on an almost daily
      basis; the bird has been tending sap wells in the live oaks in
      campsite #75, opposite the fish cleaning tables. Two RED-NAPED
      SAPSUCKERs still present; one bird is pretty reliably located on a
      daily basis, while the other proves elusive."