Black rail distribution

  • pgirard90
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2008
      Dear members,

      I am a researcher from UC Berkeley. One of my goals is to describe
      the genetic structure of the Black rail (Laterallus jamaicensis
      coturniculus) in California in general and around the Bay Area in
      particular. As you may know, this species is enlisted as threatened
      in California. In order to understand the impact of human alterations
      on Black rail distribution, I want to compare its past and actual
      genetic composition based on old museum specimens and actual blood
      samples. While numerous museum specimens are available, I have
      troubles to find accurate informations about the actual distribution
      of the Black rails. Indeed, I used several sources to identify
      potential locations where we could capture Black rails, but most of
      them are either inaccurate or imprecise. Since this species is quite
      difficult to capture, we are looking for locations known to have at
      least moderate rail density. I would especially appreciate to have
      geographic coordinates (even approximated) of such locations. If you
      have such information, I would be pleased to receive them at
      pgirard@.... If you have any worry about the bird
      treatment, be aware that we only take small blood samples. All the
      birds are released afterward.

      Thanks a lot. I would sincerelly appreciate your help.

      =====
      Philippe Girard, Ph.D
      pgirard@...
      Department of Environmental Science, Policy and Management
      Division of Ecosystem Sciences
      University of California
      Berkeley, CA