LA Audubon monthly meeting, 12/10/08

  • Nicholas Freeman
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2008
      Hi Birders

      You are cordially invited to attend Los Angeles Audubon's monthly
      meeting, 7:30pm, Wednesday December 10, 2008 in Plummer Park, 7335
      Santa Monica Blvd., West Hollywood, CA 90046, room 6 in the Community
      Hall. Refreshments will be served after the presentation. Start your
      holiday shopping now as the book store will be open before and after
      the meeting. We feature great bird field guides, bird finding books,
      optics and more!! The book store will feature sales and clearance on
      certain items. This coming Saturday, 12/6/08, the store will be open
      for your shopping enjoyment!

      Kimball Garrett presents:

      BUT IT DOESN�T LOOK LIKE THE ONE IN THE BOOK!!!

      We�ve all been perplexed as to the identity of many birds we see in
      the field. It should be easy � just look at the bird and match it
      with a picture in your field guide! But of course it doesn�t work
      that way, and the �match-the-picture� approach to field
      identification can sometimes get you in lots of trouble. So why
      doesn�t the bird we see look �just like the one in the book�? Is the
      problem with the bird? With the book? With the birder? Or with the
      world in general? Kimball Garrett will explore the art of identifying
      birds in the field by examining why birds so rarely look exactly as
      depicted in field guides. He�s been at it for over 40 years, mainly
      here in southern California. When not in the field, he resides with
      the bird collections at the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles
      County where he has served as Ornithology Manager since 1982.
      Garrett is co-author of several bird books, including the recent
      Birds of the Los Angeles Region, Birds of Southern California: Status
      and Distribution, and the Peterson Field Guide to Warblers.

      Please join upcoming Christmas counts sponsored by Los Angeles
      Audubon Society:

      Sunday, December 14
      Malibu Christmas Bird Count
      Contact compiler Larry Allen at: larryallen@... to
      participate

      Saturday, December 20

      Lancaster Christmas Bird Count
      Contact compiler Nick Freeman by replying to this message to be
      placed on a team or be given an area.

      Sunday, January 4, 2009
      Los Angeles Basin Christmas Bird Count
      Contact compiler Dan Cooper at: dan@...

      I hope to see you at the monthly meeting. A great way to close out
      your birding year!

      Mary Freeman
      Los Angeles Audubon Society
      President and Program Chair
      Glendale, CA
      Join us in celebrating our Centennial in 2010
      http://losangelesaudubon.org