Greater Shearwater - Monterey Bay - 29 November (photos)

  • Brian Sullivan
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 29, 2008
      Birders

      At about 10:35 this morning we (Shearwater Journeys) had a brief fly-by
      Greater Shearwater about 5 miles of Pt. Lobos. Scott Terrill spotted the
      bird as it crossed the bow and headed off to the northeast. I was able to
      get my camera on it going away, and secured a few (pretty crappy) images!
      They are identifiable nonetheless. Here's the link:

      http://briansullivanphotography.com/Galleries/MontereyGreaterShearwater11-08/index.html

      In the first image there's a Pink-footed Shearwater above and a Black-footed
      Albatross in the background. The dorsal shots show the whitish uppertail
      coverts, black cap and white collar, while the ventral views show the dark
      belly smudge quite nicely. Look for a full trip report from Debi.

      Enjoy.

      Brian

      --
      ===========
      Brian L. Sullivan

      eBird/AKN Project Leader
      www.ebird.org
      www.avianknowledge.net

      Photographic Editor,
      Birds of North America Online
      http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/BNA

      Cornell Lab of Ornithology
      159 Sapsucker Woods Rd.
      Ithaca, NY 14850

      Photographic Editor,
      North American Birds
      American Birding Association
      www.americanbirding.org

      bls42@...
      609-694-3280
    • Joseph Morlan
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 7, 2008
        On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 16:21:04 -0800, "Brian Sullivan"
        <heraldpetrel@...> wrote:

        >At about 10:35 this morning we (Shearwater Journeys) had a brief fly-by
        >Greater Shearwater about 5 miles of Pt. Lobos.

        Thanks to a generous contribution from Emmanuel Roy, another photo of the
        Greater Shearwater can be seen at:

        http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/gallery.htm

        Enjoy!

        --
        Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
        S.F. Birding Classes start Oct 28 http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/