Fw: [OrangeCountyBirding] Possible Gyrfalcon sighted in Irvine

  • Christopher Taylor
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2008
      Most likely an escaped falconer's bird but just wanted to get the word
      out. Photos avail here:

      http://members.cox.net/orcorba/

      --
      Christopher Taylor
      Marina del Rey, CA

      ----- Forwarded message from Nancy Kenyon <NancyKenyon@...> -----

      Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 11:33:56 -0800
      From: Nancy Kenyon <NancyKenyon@...>
      Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Possible Gyrfalcon sighted in Irvine
      To: OrangeCountyBirding <OrangeCountyBirding@yahoogroups.com>,
      OcRBA <OrCoRBA@yahoogroups.com>

      Early this morning, Monday, Nov. 17, a falcon which resembles a white
      morph adult Gyrfalcon was observed at the south end of the Woodbridge
      North Lake in Irvine. The bird was on the ground eating his prey (a
      bird). The sighting was reported to me by Peter Lavery who took a photo
      of the bird. I am posting his photo on the Sea & Sage Audubon website
      (home page under BIRD INFORMATION) and will send the photo to the RBA.
      (I have not yet learned how to post photos in the RBA photo gallery.)

      Nancy Kenyon
      Irvine

      Reports and bird identities are neither edited nor verified. Use at your own risk. Please consult the standard reference books for proper bird identification & currently accepted names. Please do not use abbreviations or acronyms in lieu of names. Both scientific and/or common names of birds are acceptable.

      All posts must be on-topic: about birds/birding in Orange County, California (nowhere else!). Your posts must include both a clear subject line *and* your name. Off-topic posts will be deleted and the sender put on moderated status. Repeat offenders will be banned.

      To search for a bird discussed in past messages, browse or search the archives at:
      To see photos of birds being discussed (if available) see:

      ----- End forwarded message -----