RE: [CALBIRDS] Birding from ships

  • Roger Harding
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2008
      Monte
      I am really pleased to be able to help here.
      You may recall that I sent a post to this list a few days ago asking for
      advice for a 3 day birding trip from San Diego.
      The reason for this trip is that we are arriving early for a 12 day Baja
      Whale Watching cruise with a UK company called Naturetrek on a boat called
      Spirit of Adventure based in San Diego.
      This trip has been done 3 times before, and I have extracted the Bird Lists
      from the previous trip reports.
      The first day is local, coastal birding (hence my desire to head inland and
      desert-wards for my private 3 day trip).
      Please find attached a spreadsheet showing all the birds seen, and where
      Last few days Feb, early March.
      I have changed some names to British, but the Latin Names are included to
      help if you don't recognise something.
      Hope this is of some small help.
      If this list doesn't allow attachments, I shall send it to your private
      address.

      Finally, thanks to all of you kind people that have sent me excellent
      advice.
      My plan is to spend day 1 at Anza-Borrego, heading for Salton Sea that
      evening for accommodation. Day 2 at Salton Sea, and that night also, then
      head back to San Diego via A-B again (unless I miss something good along the
      way?). Now I just need some "Third tree on the left" information -
      please????

      Roger Harding
      Barnstaple, North Devon, England, UK

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2008
        Monte and others:

        Winging It (volume 14 number 1 January 2002), the newsletter of the American
        Birding Association, has an article by Micahel Tove titled Pelagic Cruising:
        The Mexican Riviera which describes birding the area from a cruise ship. He
        also cites an article by Nick Lethaby in Birding 31:338-344 August 1999
        which also discusses birding from a cruise ship out of Los Angeles.

        Good luck...

        Joel Weintraub
        Dana Point, CA