Birding from ships

  • Monte Taylor
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2008
      As a member of this group for many, many years and nearly never having
      posted, I'd appreciate if I can indulge others to help me, replying
      off list to tsuru8@.... Help with any/all tips on birding from
      a cruise ship down to Baja (where is it best to be on the ship
      (front / back / seaward or inland side, higher, lower to water line,
      etc.) and possibly any info if you've done a cruise to Cabo San Lucas
      if you know of a method to get to an area (transportation from the
      port) where Xantus' Hummingbird and other good endemics can be found.

      Thank you for your help in advance and please, again, reply to
      tsuru8@... (off list) as not to bother others with this.

      Monte Taylor
      Orange County, CA
      http://www.tsuru-bird.net
      tsuru8@...
    • Roger Harding
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2008
        Monte
        I am really pleased to be able to help here.
        You may recall that I sent a post to this list a few days ago asking for
        advice for a 3 day birding trip from San Diego.
        The reason for this trip is that we are arriving early for a 12 day Baja
        Whale Watching cruise with a UK company called Naturetrek on a boat called
        Spirit of Adventure based in San Diego.
        This trip has been done 3 times before, and I have extracted the Bird Lists
        from the previous trip reports.
        The first day is local, coastal birding (hence my desire to head inland and
        desert-wards for my private 3 day trip).
        Please find attached a spreadsheet showing all the birds seen, and where
        Last few days Feb, early March.
        I have changed some names to British, but the Latin Names are included to
        help if you don't recognise something.
        Hope this is of some small help.
        If this list doesn't allow attachments, I shall send it to your private
        address.

        Finally, thanks to all of you kind people that have sent me excellent
        advice.
        My plan is to spend day 1 at Anza-Borrego, heading for Salton Sea that
        evening for accommodation. Day 2 at Salton Sea, and that night also, then
        head back to San Diego via A-B again (unless I miss something good along the
        way?). Now I just need some "Third tree on the left" information -
        please????

        Roger Harding
        Barnstaple, North Devon, England, UK

        As a member of this group for many, many years and nearly never having
        posted, I'd appreciate if I can indulge others to help me, replying
        off list to tsuru8@.... Help with any/all tips on birding from
        a cruise ship down to Baja (where is it best to be on the ship
        (front / back / seaward or inland side, higher, lower to water line,
        etc.) and possibly any info if you've done a cruise to Cabo San Lucas
        if you know of a method to get to an area (transportation from the
        port) where Xantus' Hummingbird and other good endemics can be found.

        Thank you for your help in advance and please, again, reply to
        tsuru8@... (off list) as not to bother others with this.

        Monte Taylor
        Orange County, CA
        http://www.tsuru-bird.net
        tsuru8@...

        these addresses:

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Joel Weintraub
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2008
          Monte and others:

          Winging It (volume 14 number 1 January 2002), the newsletter of the American
          Birding Association, has an article by Micahel Tove titled Pelagic Cruising:
          The Mexican Riviera which describes birding the area from a cruise ship. He
          also cites an article by Nick Lethaby in Birding 31:338-344 August 1999
          which also discusses birding from a cruise ship out of Los Angeles.

          Good luck...

          Joel Weintraub
          Dana Point, CA