EAST BAY: Lewis's Woodpecker in Livermore

  • Natalie
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2008
      Hi Everyone,

      Today I went on a birding trip with my College of Marin ornithology
      class near the junction of Mines Road and Del Valle Road in
      Livermore. In the trees below the big house on the hill (the one with
      a clock tower), we saw a LEWIS'S WOODPECKER. This guy was hanging out
      in the tops of trees, frequently sallying out to catch insects (not
      typical behavior for other woodpeckers). This bird was an adult - the
      red face was readily apparent through bins and our scope.

      We walked down Mines Road some more and saw a great variety of birds,
      unfortunately no Roadrunners, though. We got there at around 11:00 am
      and stayed for a few hours. The woodpecker was our most unusual
      bird... Here is our total list:

      Turkey Vultures (lots)
      Golden Eagle (2)
      Northern Harrier (1 male)
      Red-Tailed Hawk (3+)
      American Kestrel (1 male)
      Wild Turkey (8 live, 1 dead)
      California Quail (10+)
      Mourning Dove (2)
      Acorn Woodpecker (lots)
      Lewis's Woodpecker (1)
      Northern Flicker (3)
      Nuttall's Woodpecker (2)
      Black Phoebe (2+)
      Say's Phoebe (2+)
      Loggerhead Shrike (1)
      Hutton's Vireo (1)
      Western Scrub-Jay (5+)
      Yellow-Billed Magpie (~20)
      Common Raven (2)
      Oak Titmouse (lots)
      White-Breasted Nuthatch (3)
      Bushtit (lots)
      Western Bluebird (lots)
      Northern Mockingbird (~3)
      Phainopepla (2)
      Yellow-Rumped Warbler (2)
      Lark Sparrow (5+)
      White-Crowned Sparrow (10+)
      Golden-Crowned Sparrow (5+)
      Dark-Eyed Junco (10+)
      Brewer's Blackbirds (lots)
      Red-Winged Blackbirds (~10)
      House Finch (lots)
      Purple Finch (10+)
      American Goldfinch (5+)
      Lesser Goldfinch (5+)

      Hope you all had a good weekend!

      Natalie McNear
      Novato, Marin County
    • nelson8908@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2008
        greetings

        went out to your location today. rain was starting to dribble and it was windy and there on top of a large, bushy tree was your LEWIS' WOODPECKER. i parked on the road ( mines ), in front of the clock tower house and scanned with bino's and saw nothing. i scanned with the scope and saw him holding on tight as the branch bounced him around in the wind. light was bad but could see the reddish wash on his belly and the whitish strip around his neck - caught a flash of the red face.

        thanks much for the info ... great bird !!

        connie nelson
        fremont