RE: [SBB] Volunteers needed for SF Bay shorebird survey Nov 13-15 (23-25raindates); volunteers also sought to lead shorebird ID trainings

  • Richard Cimino
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10, 2008
      Hi Mike,
      If I'm not mistaking the shorebird count has been going on since the
      1990's.
      I'd like to suggest that it is time to expand the habitat count area's.
      With consensus' maybe its time to begin including interior habitats.
      Certainly throughout the seven or nine bay area counties there are many
      interior wetlands, flood plains, detention ponds, wet pastures, etc. which
      support shorebirds.
      I realize the numbers are not in the bayside volumes - but these area are
      seasonal IBA's miles from the bay side.
      Speaking for myself only, here in eastern Alameda County there are some
      interesting habitats to count, especially if we have rain before the
      Novemeber13-15 count days.
      Let me how the count coordinators feel about this suggestion.
      Sincerely

      Richard Cimino
      Ohlone Audubon Conservation Chair
      rscimino@...
      Da Pacem Corduim

      peninsula-birding@yahoogroups.com <peninsula-birding@yahoogroups.com>;
      south-bay-birds@yahoogroups.com <south-bay-birds@yahoogroups.com>;
      CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com <CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com>;
      countybirders@yahoogroups.com <countybirders@yahoogroups.com>;
      sightings@... <sightings@...>
      > Date: 10/8/2008 8:45:43 PM
      > Subject: [SBB] Volunteers needed for SF Bay shorebird survey Nov 13-15
      (23-25raindates); volunteers also sought to lead shorebird ID trainings

      > Volunteers Sought for San Francisco Bay Shorebird Count!
      >
      > What: A comprehensive count of the shorebirds of San Francisco Bay.
      > When: November 13-15, or in case of heavy storms November 23-25
      > Where: Along all San Francisco Bay tidal wetland habitats and high tide
      roosts.
      > Who: YOU! Birders of all skill levels are needed. Highly experienced
      birders can lead area counts and beginning birders will have the
      opportunity to learn from the experts.
      > Why: Millions of shorebirds use the San Francisco Bay marshes, salt
      ponds, tidal flats, and other wetlands during the migratory and winter
      months. The San Francisco Bay is one of the most important wintering sites
      for North America�s shorebirds, holding higher proportions of the total
      wintering and migrating shorebirds than any other wetland on the U.S.
      Pacific Coast.

      > Salt pond restoration, sea level rise, global climate change, invasive
      species, and acute events such as the Cosco Busan oil spill of 2007 can
      have dramatic effects on shorebirds of the Bay. The 2008 survey will tell
      us 1) how many shorebirds are using the Bay, and 2) how are they
      distributed. Tracking shorebird population and distribution changes in
      relation to habitat change and other impacts allows for adaptive management
      geared towards protection and enhancement of the Bay�s sensitive wildlife
      resources.

      > Logistics and details for the 2008 count:
      > �The surveys will be in the morning (probably 8am-ish) and last 3-6
      hours, depending on the survey location and number of shorebirds to be
      counted.
      > �South Bay is the area south of the San Mateo Bridge will be counted
      Thursday Nov. 13th; North Bay is from San Rafael and Richmond north (San
      Pablo Bay) and will be counted Friday Nov. 14th, and Central Bay is the
      area in-between the North and South Bays and will be counted Saturday Nov.
      15th. In case of heavy rain, alternate dates are Central Bay Sunday Nov
      23, South Bay Monday Nov 24, and North Bay Tuesday Nov 25.
      > �You may count on all 3 days or as few as 1 day.
      > �All skill levels are welcome, as we will be going out in pairs/teams.
      Site leaders must be able to readily identify species on the attached list
      and feel confident in their ability to count roosting shorebirds. Leaders
      should be equipped with a spotting scope as well as binoculars. Less
      experienced shorebird censusers will play an important role in assisting
      site leaders with counting, identification, and data collection.
      > �Shorebird ID training sessions are being planned, details to follow
      >

      > Get involved! Contact:
      > Mike Perlmutter, Bay Area Conservation Coordinator, Audubon California
      > mperlmutter@...<mailto:mperlmutter@...>
      > 510-601-1866 x231
      >
      > In your reply, please indicate the following:
      > 1.Your availability over the 3 day survey period and backup raindates
      given the locations for each date.
      > 2.Census location preference (please indicate if you have conducted the
      survey in the past and would like to keep or change sites)
      > 3.Your level of shorebird censusing skill.
      > 4.Your phone number, email, and mailing address
      > 5.Feedback from last year, if applicable and necessary
      > 6.If your local Audubon chapter would like to �adopt� a part of the
      shoreline to survey this year and in future years
      > 7. If you are able and interested in leading or helping to lead shorebird
      identification trainings prior to the survey.

      > Shorebirds in San Francisco Bay: Project Update
      > More Shorebirds Using Restored Habitats in the North Bay
      >
      > In 2007, we completed the second consecutive comprehensive shorebird
      count of San Francisco Bay. Working together, the partner organizations
      (Audubon California, San Francisco Bay Bird Observatory, PRBO Conservation
      Science, USGS, USFWS) and over 100 Bay Area citizen scientists counted more
      than 329,000 shorebirds throughout San Francisco Bay. These recent
      shorebird surveys replicate a set of surveys conducted over a decade ago
      and allow us to measure change in the distribution and abundance of
      shorebirds.

      > San Francisco Bay was designated a site of hemispheric importance to
      shorebirds (by the Western Hemisphere Shorebird Reserve Network) based the
      high numbers derived from these surveys.

      > Preliminary results indicate that the November 2007 count was the second
      lowest for total shorebirds of all our November surveys (1990, 1991, 1992,
      2006 and 2007). The highest total we found, in 1990 was more than 357,000.

      > As in 2006, the most abundant species detected throughout the Bay in 2007
      was the Western Sandpiper (31% of total birds), followed by Dunlin (18%),
      Least Sandpiper (11%), American Avocet (10%), and Willet (8%). Counts for
      Western Sandpiper and Dunlin in the area between San Francisco and Palo
      Alto were much lower than a decade ago. Over the past 15 years there has
      been a clear shift in the distributions of medium and large shorebird
      species to the North Bay. The biggest increases occurred along the northern
      shoreline of San Pablo Bay, where large tracts of retired salt ponds have
      been opened up to tidal action.

      > We are currently seeking funding to analyze the changes in shorebird
      distribution and abundance over the last 15 years and to relate these
      changes to changes in the landscape that are due to wetland restoration and
      management, development, and other actions. We aim to publish our results
      and distribute them widely, to help various agencies and environmental
      groups involved in land acquisition or stewardship make informed decisions
      based on sound science.