Wood Thrush at Galileo Hill 10-9-08

  • Ken and Brenda Kyle
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 9, 2008
      This mornng, Thursday, 10-9-08, at Galileo Hill, Ken and I saw a
      bird that we believe to be a Wood Thrush. We have placed one photo of
      this bird into the Calbirds photo section into the album labeled Birds.
      Please check this photo before taking off to look for this bird.

      This bird was seen first coming out from under an Oleander bush
      west of the stables. It then flew to the trees south of the stables.
      After a few minutes, it flew again toward the stables at which time we
      were unable to relocate the bird.

      We were not able to see the cheek clearly on this bird do to poor
      lighting, therefore, we came home and downloaded the photos. We still
      couldn't see the cheek as well as we would have liked, but we still
      believe the bird to be a Wood Thrush. It has a bold white eye-ring, and
      it has dark dots on a white chest. The dark black dots go all the way
      down the flank area. The upperpart of the bird is reddish brown. It
      looked more reddish than brown.

      Ken and Brenda Kyle
      Bakersfield
    • Dave Furseth
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 9, 2008
        All

        I've posted an enhanced version of the possible Galileo Hill Wood
        Thrush in the Temporary Folder (photo section) to maybe help with ID.

        Dave

        --- In CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com, "Ken and Brenda Kyle"
        <kbgoldennugget2@...> wrote:

        > This mornng, Thursday, 10-9-08, at Galileo Hill, Ken and I saw a
        > bird that we believe to be a Wood Thrush. We have placed one photo of
        > this bird into the Calbirds photo section into the album labeled Birds.
        > Please check this photo before taking off to look for this bird.
        >
        > This bird was seen first coming out from under an Oleander bush
        > west of the stables. It then flew to the trees south of the stables.
        > After a few minutes, it flew again toward the stables at which time we
        > were unable to relocate the bird.
        >
        > We were not able to see the cheek clearly on this bird do to poor
        > lighting, therefore, we came home and downloaded the photos. We still
        > couldn't see the cheek as well as we would have liked, but we still
        > believe the bird to be a Wood Thrush. It has a bold white eye-ring, and
        > it has dark dots on a white chest. The dark black dots go all the way
        > down the flank area. The upperpart of the bird is reddish brown. It
        > looked more reddish than brown.
        >
        > Ken and Brenda Kyle
        > Bakersfield

      • Daniel S. Cooper
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 9, 2008
          Ken/Brenda,

          This appears to be a decently-photographed Wood Thrush (nothing
          "possible" about it, at least to my eyes). Not sure why you'd need to
          see the cheek clearly - the large, round spots extending down the
          entire underparts are diagnostic for this species, which is really
          different from our other Catharus thrushes.

          Right time of year, but great find!

          Dan Cooper
          Los Angeles