Merced County Seabirds Continue at San Luis Reservoir

  • dwbirdster@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2008
      Hi Birders-

      Posting to Calbirds as I'm not subscribed to CVBirds. At the Romero Visitor Center at San Luis Reservoir along Hwy 152, I spotted the Yellow-billed Loon at about 9:20 this morning. On the south side of the visitor center there is a now-exposed peninsula. The loon was floating in a cove or inlet on the left/east side of the peninsula. The cove is partially obscured by the some near shoreline. The lighting was not good, but through Gjon Hazard's scope the bird's profile was clearly Yellow-billed and the bill flashed yellow at certain angles. Gjon had already spotted the other birds mentioned on John Sterling's CVBirds posting, namely the Long-tailed Jaeger, Sabine's Gull, and Brown Pelican all extremely distant. The Western Gull was on the nearby island.

      Dave Weber,
      Milpitas