Big Sit - October 12

  • jcadroyer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2008
      This Sunday is the day for the annual "Big Sit", another green type of birding.? The Big Sit is a bird count from a preselected 17 foot diameter circle in a set 24 hour period - this year the date for around the globe is October 12.? Not only does birding from only one small location in a day not burn up any gas, but it makes birders slow down and observe birds rather than just ticking them off.? The key is to find a spot where you might want to sit for long periods of time and where there is a variety of birds - streamside, lake front, bayside, and oceanside counts are all great locations.?Gather together some counters and?break out the food, drink, chairs, scopes, etc.? It is sort of a tailgate pary for birding. The Big Sit is also an opportunity to have a green birdathon which raises money for a local environmental cause, preferably one that helps birds. This count was started by the New Haven Bird Club in Connecticut 13 years ago and is now organized by Birdwatcher's Digest, which publishes the rules and results online. For more information, rules, and past results see www.birdwatchersdigest.com/bigsit.html. There is still time to organize and register a count in your area.? I have been doing our local count at the Elfin Forest in Los Osos for ten years and I enjoy it every year.? Our top count is 122 species, but I find that just relaxing and watching the birds, without running around, is more enjoyable than just listing the birds found.

      Jim Royer
      Los Osos, CA