OCTOBER 3, 4, 5, 2008 MONTEREY PELAGIC TRIP REPORT

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2008
      Howdy, Seabirders,

      Three days of seabirding on Monterey Bay with Shearwater Journeys
      produced quite an array of seabirds. This report covers trips on
      October 3, 4, and offshore on Oct 5 to the albacore fishing grounds.
      All trips departed from Fishermans' Wharf in Monterey. Highlights
      included: 2 PIGEON GUILLEMOTS on October 3 (most guillemots have
      departed for their wintering area, Queen Charlotte Island), 5 species
      of shearwaters on October 4, including 325 PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATERS, 2
      FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATERS, 25 BULLER'S SHEARWATERS, and 10 BLACK-
      VENTED SHEARWATERS with participants having excellent views of all
      shearwaters, sitting on the water. Another highlight of the October
      4th trip was our first rainfall since March 15th! Living in a
      Mediterranean climate, we rarely see rain at this time of year. Even
      so, it did not amount to much, or impact the birding at all. Capping
      off the three days of seabirding on October 5 the highlights included
      all of the following in SANTA CRUZ COUNTY: 6 XANTUS' MURRELETS
      scrippsi, 5 XANTUS MURRELETS hypoleucus that breeds on islands off
      Baja California, 1800 ASHY STORM-PETRELS, 15 BLACK STORM-PETRELS, and
      4 LEAST STORM-PETRELS, 8 SOUTH POLAR SKUAS, 13 POMARINE JAEGERS, 9
      PARASITIC JAEGERS, and 3 SABINE'S GULLS. Everyone on board had
      excellent views of the murrelets, while the Baja murrelets gave their
      distinctive calls! County birders were having a field day! All of
      these birds were out at the albacore grounds, some 35 miles off
      Monterey. Fish were jumping! Lots of bait fish and bonita were
      around. The sea surface temperature was a balmy 64.7F and the water
      was the deep aqua blue, clear water that both the albacore and
      murrelets prefer. Murrelets are one of the target species of the
      albacore trips. The least storm-petrels were a great bonus! It was a
      great set of trips!

      Where the heck did that massive storm-petrel flock of 10,000 birds on
      September 14th go?? After searching for them on many trips since that
      date, even on some very calm seas, with zero luck � I believe the
      mystery has been solved! It has been reported to me from birders who
      took a cruise ship from Vancouver to Los Angeles that they ran into
      the storm-petrels far away from where we last saw them! It would seem
      that it has been confirmed that the storm-petrel flocks are not
      within reaching distance of Monterey trips.

      We would like to thank all of our participants who took part in these
      three trips. The leaders were as follows:
      October 3= Clay Kempf, Jennifer Green, & Debra Shearwater
      October 4= Clay Kempf, Brian Sullivan, Oscar Johnson, Adam Searcy, &
      Debra Shearwater
      October 5= Scott Terrill, Linda Terrill, David Vander Pluym, Oscar
      Johnson, Adam Searcy, Ryan Terrill, & Debra Shearwater.

      Spaces are still available on the following trips from Monterey:
      October 11, 18, November 29, January 17; from Bodega Bay: October 9 &
      17.

      The complete species lists follow:

      OCT 3/ OCT 4, 2008

      PACIFIC LOON- 1/0
      COMMON LOON- 0/5
      WESTERN GREBE- 3/0
      BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS- 11/10
      PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER- 150/325
      FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATER- 0/2
      BULLER'S SHEARWATER- 157/285
      SOOTY/SHORT-TAILED SHEARWATER- 1/1
      BLACK-VENTED SHEARWATER- 0/10
      BROWN PELICAN- 80/150
      BRANDT'S CORMORANT- 300/55
      HARLEQUIN DUCK- 0/1, in the harbor
      MARBLED GODWIT- 2/0
      BLACK TURNSTONE- 0/5
      RED-NECKED PHALAROPE- 9/33
      SOUTH POLAR SKUA- 1/3
      POMARINE JAEGER- 8/23
      POMARINE/PARASITIC- 6/4
      PARASITIC JAEGER- 2/14
      PARASITIC/LONG-TAILED- 0/1
      HEERMANNS' GULL- 350/175
      CALIFORNIA GULL- 40/500
      WESTERN GULL- 120/500
      SABINE'S GULL- 0/1
      ELEGANT TERN- 38/45
      COMMON MURRE- 420/250
      PIGEON GUILLEMOT-2/0
      CASSIN'S AUKLET- 21/31
      RHINOCEROS AUKLET- 270/87
      PEREGRINE FALCON- 0/1, on the radio tower on Cannery Row
      SEA OTTER- 3/5
      CALIFORNIA SEA LION- 100/++
      NORTHERN FUR SEAL- 0/6
      HUMPBACK WHALE- 14/24
      NORTHERN RIGHT WHALE DOLPHIN- 0/20
      RISSO'S DOLPHIN- 0/15
      PACIFIC WHITE-SIDED DOLPHIN- 80/85
      DALL'S PORPOISE- 12/6
      OCEAN SUNFISH- 7/10
      BLUE SHARK- 3/0

      OCTOBER 5, 2008

      MTY/SCZ/COUNTIES

      PACIFIC LOON- 0/1
      BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS- 4/7
      PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER- 75/22
      BULLER'S SHEARWATER- 17/2
      ASHY STORM-PETREL- 0/1800
      BLACK STORM-PETREL- 0/15
      LEAST STORM-PETREL-0/4
      WEIRD STORM-PETREL-1, with a white belly. Presumed to be an Ashy,
      unless photos prove otherwise.
      BROWN PELICAN- 35/2
      RED-NECKED PHALAROPE- 16/1
      RED PHALAROPE- 7/0
      SOUTH POLAR SKUA- 3/8
      POMARINE JAEGER- 9/13
      POMARINE/PARASITIC- 0/1
      PARASITIC JAEGER- 2/9
      PARASITIC/LONG-TAILED- 0/1
      HEERMANN'S GULL- 275/8
      WESTERN GULL- 475/15
      SABINE'S GULL- 12/3
      COMMON MURRE- 40/0
      XANTUS' MURRELET (scrippsi)- 0/6
      XANTUS' MURRELET (hypoleucus)- 0/5
      XANTUS'/CRAVERI'S MURRELET- 0/3
      CASSIN'S AUKLET- 36/3
      RHINOCEROS AUKLET- 120/4
      HUMMINGBIRD SP.- 1/0
      CALIFORNIA SEA LION- 60
      NORTHERN FUR SEAL- 10
      HUMPBACK WHALE- 12
      PACIFIC WHITE-SIDED DOLPHIN- 25
      OCEAN SUNFISH- 2
      BLUE SHARK- 2

      Shearwaters forever,
      Debra

      Debra Shearwater
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527
      debi@...
      www.shearwaterjourneys.com

      *Antarctica, South Georgia, & The Falkland Islands, January 5-24, 2010*
      Shearwater Journeys' Exclusive Charter