Masked Booby (Part III)

  • wagtail1997
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 11, 2002
      Group,
      I received an email from Alex Lees who I believe is in England. He
      was in correspondence with Dr. Hunt of the Univ. of California,
      Irvine. Alex told me that Hunt had seen a Masked Booby on the
      breakwater at Dana Point Harbor (Orange County) last weekend.

      I went down to the "island' and scoped the end of the jetty from about
      1 to 2:15 today, without success. Kaaren Perry was at the harbor
      later, and saw the Booby from 3:30 to 3:50 at the end of the jetty
      when it flew off. She took digital pictures through her scope and
      sent me two by email. Her camera is capable of taking pictures in the
      range of 600-700kb, and the pictures I've posted from Kaaren, sent
      to me as attachments, are about 12kb... so be aware of that. It looks
      like a full adult individual.

      I've found out that the Rehab bird that was picked up in Orange County
      a few weeks ago, is STILL in rehab. It does seem that this makes the
      third record this winter for Masked Booby in southern California.
      Joel Weintraub, Dana Point, CA
    • Dave Ranney
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 13, 2002
        All,

        I observed the Masked Booby at Dana Pt. this morning from about 6:20 to 6:45
        a.m. before I had to leave for work. (Where were all the other
        early-birders? Lonely out there! :)

        This morning, the bird was sitting on the jetty directly opposite the 3rd
        parking area after turning left on the "island". It was mostly sleeping, but
        would briefly stretch its wings or preen from time to time.

        -Dave Ranney