Farallones Blog

  • Matt Brady
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2008
      Hi Birders. I wanted to let you all know that the biologists out here on Southeast Farallon Island have a blog, which is frequently updated. It's been maintained for a few years, but until this fall, the Seabird and Elephant Seal crews have been most diligent about keeping it up to date, with the fall crew less so. This year though the Fall crew has been updating it almost every day (as our temperamental Internet connection allows). The link is: <http://www.losfarallones.blogspot.com/>.

      The first post from the fall describes the amazing fallout we had during the middle of September, as well as some of the weird and mega-rare birds we had before that. There are some photos of some of the more interesting birds up. Later posts detail what's been going on on a day-to-day level. We hope to be able to post what we have been seeing and what has been going on around the island every day, so check back often!

      Also, as I mentioned earlier, the Elephant Seal and Seabird crews have also contributed to the blog. I really recommend reading earlier posts, as they highlight a lot of what is going on on the Island at other, less well-known (to birders, at any rate) times of year.

      For those of you who may be unfamiliar with Southeast Farallon Island, it is a small, rocky island about 30 miles due west of San Francisco. Though it is a closed National Wildlife Refuge, PRBO Conservation Science (aka Point Reyes Bird Observatory) has been working on the island since 1967, conducting really important research on nesting seabirds, Elephant Seals and landbirds. I hope you all enjoy the blog.

      Matt Brady
      Southeast Farallon Island, SF