TUFTED PUFFIN STAR: SEPTEMBER 27, 2008 TRIP REPORT

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2008
      Howdy, Seabirders,

      The September 28th Shearwater Journey's pelagic trip from Monterey
      started out with some dense fog, that lifted by 10 a.m. with great
      visibility for the remainder of the day. The singular highlight of
      the day was TUFTED PUFFIN that leader, Linda Terrill spotted sitting
      on the water. Everyone on board had great views, and the
      photographers were delighted. This represents the only fall sighting
      of a tufted puffin for Monterey Bay. (Although, our trip to the
      Farallon Islands in early August always records them, as they are
      presumed to breed on the islands). We saw most of the fall migrants,
      including five species of shearwaters: 180 PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATERS, 1
      or 2 FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATERS, 20 BULLER'S SHEARWATERS, 330 SOOTY
      SHEARWATERS, and 3 to 5 BLACK-VENTED SHEARWATERS. The large, mixed
      feeding groups of both whales, dolphins, sea lions, and seabirds
      continued.

      We thank all of the trip participants who traveled from near and far,
      and the Monterey Bay Birding Festival for its support of this trip.
      The leaders were: Linda Terrill, Scott Terrill, Jim Danzenbaker,
      Oscar Johnson, Don Doolittle, Steve Howell, and Debra Shearwater.

      Spaces are still open on all of our October trips, except the October
      12th trip from Santa Cruz which is sold out. Spaces are available on
      the November 29th trip.

      The complete species tally follows:

      SEPTEMBER 27, 2008 MONTEREY BAY

      PACIFIC LOON- 10
      COMMON LOON- 2
      BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS- 29
      PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER- 180
      FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATER- 1 or 2
      BULLER'S SHEARWATER- 20
      SOOTY SHEARWATER- 330
      BLACK-VENTED SHEARWATER- 3 to 5
      ASHY STORM-PETREL- 3
      BLACK STORM-PETREL- 1
      BROWN PELICAN- 100
      BRANDT'S CORMORANT- 300
      PELAGIC CORMORANT- 2
      BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER- 5
      BLACK TURNSTONE- 8
      RED-NECKED PHALAROPE- 45
      SOUTH POLAR SKUA- 5
      POMARINE JAEGER- 9
      POMARINE/PARASITIC- 2
      PARASITIC JAEGER- 4
      JAEGER SP.- 2
      HEERMANN'S GULL- 150
      CALIFORNIA GULL- 70
      WESTERN GULL- 300
      SABINE'S GULL- 3
      ELEGANT TERN- 70
      COMMON MURRE- 800
      PIGEON GUILLEMOT- 2, in the harbor
      CASSIN'S AUKLET- 15
      RHINOCEROS AUKLET- 180
      TUFTED PUFFIN- 1
      SEA OTTER- 3
      CALIFORNIA SEA LION- 400
      NORTHERN FUR SEAL- 2
      HUMPBACK WHALE- 30
      NORTHERN RIGHT WHALE DOLPHIN- 100
      RISSO'S DOLPHIN- 420
      PACIFIC WHITE-SIDED DOLPHIN- 220
      DALL'S PORPOISE- 12
      OCEAN SUNFISH- 2

      Shearwaters forever,
      Debra

      Debra Shearwater
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527
      debi@...
      www.shearwaterjourneys.com

      *Antarctica, South Georgia, & The Falkland Islands, January 5-24, 2010*
      Shearwater Journeys' Exclusive Charter