immature Red-footed Booby

  • Doug Aguillard
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30 12:43 PM
      This morning, I decided to go and look for the reported Red-footed Booby off of Shelter Island in north San Diego Bay. I arrived at 6:45 a.m. It was clear skies with the sun already riding low in the eastern sky. A large crusieship was making it's way into the bay and a small flock of Gulls was feeding approx. 100 yards away from the island. I was watching a small pod of Bottle-nosed Dolphins below the flock of birds when I saw a larger bird leave the flock and landed on a group of post (pilings) approx. 150 yards offshore. I snapped a few images, and then blew them up to see that it was indeed the Red-footed Booby. I immediately started to notify area birders. Dan King and Tom Blackman arrived to view the bird with me, and then it flew southwest towards the US Navy Submarine Base on Pt. Loma, and was not reseen. Birders were present until just past 11:00 a.m. looking for the bird.

      Here are some of my images.
      http://sdbirds.basiclink.com/red21.htm

      Enjoy,

      Douglas Aguillard