PELAGIC WARBLERS: SEPTEMBER 28, 2008 TRIP REPORT

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2008
      Hello, Seabirders,

      The undisputed highlight of Shearwater Journey's September 28th
      pelagic trip from Monterey was at least four species of WARBLERS! In
      Santa Cruz County waters, a BLACKPOLL warbler flew around the boat.
      In Monterey County, a HY PALM WARLBER was gently caught by leader,
      Oscar Johnson, placed in a warm, dark container, and released near
      Fisherman's Wharf upon our return. Also in Monterey County, was a
      female type AMERICAN REDSTART. And, finally, the beauty of the day
      was a HY female, BAY-BREASTED WARBLER which landed repeatedly on the
      boat, and was photographed! This warbler was a life bird for many on
      board. The warbler fall out on board our boat matched the fall outs
      reported along the coast. Other migrants included a male CINNAMON
      TEAL, a DUNLIN, and a DOWITCHER. An unusual sighting was a very, very
      large piece of dead squid! This squid was much larger than the
      Humboldt Squids that we have seen in recent years. Not surprisingly,
      8-12 BAIRD'S BEAKED WHALES were sighted within a few minutes. These
      large toothed whales probably killed the squid, as it is one of their
      presumed prey items. We also saw large numbers of BLACK-FOOTED
      ALBATROSSES (47), feeding on the cast off remains of a fishing
      vessel, along with many PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATERS, and a few BULLER'S
      SHEARWATERS. Only one BLACK-VENTED SHEARWATER was observed. Many,
      many active feeding flocks of gulls, CALIFORNIA SES LIONS, BROWN
      PELICANS, BRANDT'S CORMORANTS, and shearwaters were feeding with
      HUMPBACK WHALES. In spite of excellent conditions, we did not find
      the storm-petrel flocks, even after searching the recent locations,
      and past year's locations. The sea surface temperature changed from
      previous weeks, with some cooler temperatures being recorded: 56-59F.
      Maybe the storm-petrel flocks moved to the Pioneer Canyon. Hard to say.

      We thank all of the participants who traveled from near and far, and
      the Monterey Bay Birding Festival, for being a part of our day. The
      leaders were: Jon Dunn, Denise Wight, Jennifer Green, Oscar Johnson,
      Steve Howell, Don Doolittle, and Debra Shearwater.

      October trips are a great time to look for arriving Short-tailed
      Shearwaters, and unusual/rare shearwaters such as Streaked and Wedge-
      tailed. Spaces are still available on most of our October trips. The
      October 12th trip departing from Santa Cruz is SOLD OUT.

      Spaces are available on the following trips departing from MONTEREY:
      OCTOBER 3, 4, 5, 11, & 18; NOVEMBER 29; and from BODEGA BAY: OCTOBER
      9 & 17. Please contact Debra Shearwater (below) for a reservation.

      The complete species list follows:

      SEPTEMBER 28, 2008 MONTEREY BAY PELAGIC TRIP

      PACIFIC LOON- 1
      WESTERN GREBE- 1
      BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS- 47
      NORTHERN FULMAR- 1
      PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER- 500
      BULLER'S SHEARWATER- 8
      BLACK-VENTED SHEARWATER- 1
      SOOTY SHEARWATER- 125
      ASHY STORM-PETREL- 40
      BROWN PELICAN- 100
      BRANDT'S CORMORANT- 500
      CINNAMON TEAL- 1, male
      BLACK TURNSTONE- 7
      DUNLIN- 1
      DOWITCHER- 1
      SOUTH POLAR SKUA- 9
      POMARINE JAEGER- 7
      POMARINE/PARASITIC- 3
      PARASITIC JAEGER- 4
      HEERMANN'S GULL- 150
      CALIFORNIA GULL- 1700
      WESTERN GULL- 500
      ELEGANT TERN- 100
      COMMON MURRE- 700
      CASSIN'S AUKLET- 9
      RHINOCEROS AUKLET- 700
      PEREGRINE FALCON- 1, on the radio tower on Cannery Row
      PALM WARBLER- 1 HY
      BLACKPOLL WARBLER- 1
      AMERICAN REDSTART- 1, female type
      BAY-BREASTED WARBLER- 1 HY female
      SEA OTTER- 10
      CALIFORNIA SEA LION- 600
      NORTHERN FUR SEAL- 3
      NORTHERN ELEPHANT SEAL- 1
      HARBOR SEAL- 10
      HUMPBACK WHALE- 45
      BAIRD'S BEAKED WHALE- 8 to 12
      NORTHERN RIGHT WHALE DOLPHIN- 20
      RISSO'S DOLPHIN- 10 to 15
      PACIFIC WHITE-SIDED DOLPHIN- 110
      DALL'S PORPOISE- 19
      OCEAN SUNFISH- 1
      BLUE SHARK- 1, feeding on the squid carcass
      GIANT SQUID CARCASS- 1
      MOON JELLIES
      EGG YOLK JELLIES

      Shearwaters & warblers forever,
      Debra

      Debra Shearwater
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527
      debi@...
      www.shearwaterjourneys.com

      *Antarctica, South Georgia, & The Falkland Islands, January 5-24, 2010*
      Shearwater Journeys' Exclusive Charter