San Diego Red-footed Booby

  • Terry Hunefeld
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2008
      Greetings

      A Red-footed Booby landed on on the live-aboard fishing boat Grande
      in Mexican waters just south of Ensenada on the eve of 28 SEP and
      departed into the skies of Point Loma on the morning of 29 September.
      Photos are are posted at:

      http://thunefeld.smugmug.com/gallery/4487804_LNHsw#383388246_bJwUZ
      or
      http://tinyurl.com/43na4t

      The story of the discovery of the booby:
      If you are not a subscriber to SDBirds, the SDBirds posting is
      reposted below following my signature.

      For information about the nearly sold out Buena Vista Audubon's
      Saturday's Day trip on Grande (6:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. - $65 -- 3 tickets
      available) to the Coronados Islands, visit:
      http://socalbirding.com/oct_4_2008_los_coronados_islands
      or
      http://tinyurl.com/4wkham

      Leaders/Spotters on the day trip: Todd McGrath, Guy McCaskie, Paul
      Lehman, Dave Povey, Matthew Sadowski, Chum Master Wes Fritz, Jon
      Feenstra, Mark J. Billings and Dave Pereksta

      I've received several emails about what to wear and how to prepare
      for the day trip and the overnight trip. Visit:
      http://socalbirding.com/preparation_what_to_bring_policies
      or
      http://tinyurl.com/3nkzho

      As it says on the website, we never know what the weather will be. I
      personally will bring rain gear and fleece layers, with my rain
      jacket doubling as a wind breaker over fleece if it's chilly and or
      in the mornings. I will also bring gloves and a knit wool cap to
      keep my hands and ears warm. It might be overcast, 55 degrees and
      windy; it might be 85 degrees, blazing sun and frying hot. It may be
      both.

      SEATING - Grande has a spacious salon/cabin with plenty of
      comfortable "restaurant-booth" seating for meals, reading, resting or
      napping. On deck seating is very limited, and you're welcome to
      bring a sturdy nylon outdoor folding chair aboard to sit on the
      spacious aft deck.

      --
      W. Terry Hunefeld
      Life is short.

      Seabirding Trips From San Diego
      Buena Vista Audubon Society
      http://www.SoCalBirding.com
      Los Coronados Islands
      Nine-mile, Thirty-mile, Sixty-mile Banks
      Cortes & Tanner Banks
      Channel Islands

      Inn at Moonlight Beach
      http://www.InnAtMoonlightBeach.com
      Ocean view rooms & suites from $115
      Encinitas, North County, San Diego

      FROM SDBIRDS 28SEP2008

      Last night I received a phone call from James McDaniels, captain of
      Grande, about a booby with red feet that had landed on Grande in
      Mexican waters. I urged him to obtain photos. I just received the
      following email, sent at noon today. I have forwarded some cell-
      phone photos to Guy McCaskie of what appear to be a juvenile Red-
      footed Booby: red feet, overall grayish-brown, darker breast. James
      will be getting some higher res photos which I'll post when received.