November deep water search for albatross, pterodroma and tropicbirds

  • Terry Hunefeld
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2008
      Greetings

      Due to the popularity of the weekend overnight pelagic trips to deep
      water, the Buena Vista Audubon Society has added one final pelagic
      trip to its 2008 itinerary on the weekend of November 1 & 2. The
      weather and seas in the SoCal bight this time of year are usually
      pleasant with light seas. We will spend 3 hours Saturday morning in
      Mexican waters, then Saturday afternoon and all of Sunday in ABA
      waters.

      November Trip Details: http://tinyurl.com/6zqsns or
      http://socalbirding.com/nov_1-3_2008_san_diego_to_shelf_edge

      This trip has a new itinerary from the earlier 2008 Grande trips,
      designed to find and see the maximum number of species possible with
      two full days and two nights (47 hours) at sea. We will be back at
      the dock in Point Loma, San Diego, by 6:15 a.m. on Monday morning.

      All of the following birds have been known to occur in SoCal waters,
      many with Oct – Dec records:

      TARGET BIRDS: Laysan Albatross, Black-footed Albatross, Cook's
      Petrel, Flesh-footed Shearwater, Buller's Shearwater, Short-tailed
      Shearwater, Red-billed Tropicbird.

      EXPECTED BIRDS: Pink-footed Shearwater, Black-vented Shearwater,
      Sooty Shearwater, Leach's Storm Petrel, Ashy Storm-Petrel, Black
      Storm-Petrel, Brown Booby, Red Phalarope, Red-necked Phalarope,
      Parasitic Jaeger, Pomarine Jaeger, South Polar Skua, Cassin's Auklet,
      Rhinoceros Auklet.

      POSSIBLE BIRDS: Black-footed Albatross, Laysan Albatross, Northern
      Fulmar, Cook's Petrel, Flesh-footed Shearwater, Buller's Shearwater,
      Manx Shearwater, Short-tailed Shearwater, Least Storm-Petrel,
      Wilson's Storm-Petrel, Red-billed Tropicbird, Masked Booby, Long-
      tailed Jaeger, Black-legged Kittiwake, Sabine's Gull, Arctic Tern,
      Common Murre, Xantus' Murrelet.

      RARITIES (we might, if we're lucky, see one of these species): Short-
      tailed Albatross, Murphy's Petrel, Mottled Petrel, Stejneger's
      Petrel, Hawaiian Petrel, Bulwer's Petrel, Streaked Shearwater, Wedge-
      rumped Storm-Petrel, Fork-tailed Storm-Petrel, Red-tailed Tropicbird,
      Blue-footed Booby, Red-footed Booby, Tufted Puffin.

      The trip will depart Point Loma Sportfishing Landing on the large and
      stable 85-foot live-aboard Grande on Saturday morning, November 1,
      and return to San Diego at 6:15 a.m. on Monday morning, November 3.
      Leaders include Paul Lehman, Todd McGrath, Dave Pereksta, Wes Fritz
      and Matthew Sadowski.

      We'll spend Saturday working our way past the Coronados Islands (how
      many species of oystercatchers and boobies?) followed by the Coronado
      Canyon, then up the birdy Nine-mile bank, west to The Ridge to the 30-
      mile bank. From that point, the leaders will decide on our itinerary
      based on weather, seas and what we have been seeing. We may have
      dinner at San Clemente Island's Pyramid Cove, or continue on to other
      underwater ridges, domes and seamounts before nightfall.
      Destinations will be chosen from the Tanner & Cortez Banks, the
      Butterfly, the Dumping Grounds, the Sixty-mile Bank.

      COOK'S PETREL: rare but regular off northern Baja and in the
      California Current mostly from April to November. STEJNEGER'S
      PETREL: 4 of 6 California records in November, one of the Nov
      records in SoCal waters, both July records in SoCal. MOTTLED PETREL:
      most commonly observed Sept – Feb as a very rare visitor in Southern
      California well offshore along the edge of the continental shelf (4
      of 6 SoCal records were in Nov-Feb). WEDGE-TAILED SHEARWATER:
      regular off the coast of Mexico south of Cabo San Lucas. Given this
      species abundance and range, the state's total of 4 accepted records
      seems low. Nine unaccepted records include 5 from SoCal. Most
      sightings Aug-Dec. RED-BILLED TROPICBIRD: Rare but regular July –
      January well offshore. BLUE-FOOTED BOOBY: one was seen near the
      Thirty-mile bank (San Diego County) August 2008 and another on the
      Coronados Islands in April 2008. LAYSAN ALBATROSS: a regular visitor
      well offshore during late fall and winter.

      For more detailed records of SoCal seabirds, including references and
      sources for the above paragraph, please visit
      http://socalbirding.com/socal_seabird_status__distribution
      or
      http://tinyurl.com/6zqsns

      The cost of the trip is $195 if reserved by September 30, $225 if
      reserved after September 30 and $245 if reserved after October 15.
      Please visit http://tinyurl.com/6zqsns for reservation information
      and details on sleeping arrangements, meals, and more information on
      the boat and leaders.

      W. Terry Hunefeld
      North County San Diego
      Life is short.
      Seabird often.

      http://www.SoCalBirding.com
      Pelagic Seabirding Trips From San Diego to:
      9-mile Bank
      Los Coronados Islands
      Cortes & Tanner Banks
      Channel Islands