SEP 12 MONTEREY BAY: BIRDS, BIRDS, BIRDS!

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2008
      Hello, Seabirders,

      Shearwater Journey's pelagic trip from Monterey Bay today was
      extremely "birdy"! The highlight, in the late afternoon, was finding
      the "mother lode" of storm-petrels in one extremely long raft: 7000
      ASHY STORM-PETRELS, 30 BLACK STORM-PETRELS, and 5 WILSON'S STORM-
      PETRELS, all in SANTA CRUZ COUNTY! This is the largest storm-petrel
      raft for this fall season that we have seen. And, we plan to head for
      it tomorrow!

      The morning began with TWO HARLEQUIN DUCKS in the harbor, and all of
      the usual suspects. Heading south to Bird Rock, we encountered quite
      a feeding spectacle of 2000 PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATERS and about 1200
      SOOTY SHEARWATERS. It was interesting that the day tallied more Pink-
      foots than sootys. Among these, we also found 175 BULLER'S and one
      FLESH-FOOTED. The shearwaters were feeding in distinct flocks,
      accompanied by HUMPBACK WHALES, PACIFIC WHITE-SIDED and NORTHERN
      RIGHT WHALE DOLPHINS, CALIFORNIA SEA LIONS, Brown Pelicans, Elegant
      Terns, Brandt's Cormorants, and a few COMMON MURRES, RHINOCEROS
      AUKLETS, and RED-NECKED PHALAROPES. We visited flock after flock
      after flock, sometimes sitting on the water, completely stuffed with
      food, and sometimes in active pursuit of food! It was quite a sight.
      Things lulled for a bit as we headed north to the petrel grounds, but
      once the main flock was found, we were once again very busy. Notable
      today was that we did not find any Pigeon Guillemots or Cassin's
      Auklets. The sea surface temperature was a fairly constant 59F.

      Spaces are still available on tomorrow's ALBACORE GROUNDS trip, which
      departs at 5:30 am, sharp, and returns at 5:30 pm. And, spaces are
      available on both our Sunday, September 14th, and Monday, September
      15th trips. Please call or email me for a reservation. Please call
      only until 9 pm this evening.

      We thank all of the birders who traveled from near, and very far to
      join us on this great day. The leaders today were: Clay Kempf, Brian
      Sullivan, Steve Howell, and Debra Shearwater.

      The complete species list follows:

      SEPTEMBER 12, 2008 MONTEREY BAY WITH SHEARWATER JOURNEYS

      COMMON LOON-1 in the harbor
      WESTERN GREBE-1
      BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS- 18
      NORTHERN FULMAR- 1
      PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER- 2000
      FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATER- 1
      BULLER'S SHEARWATER- 175
      SOOTY SHEARWATER- 1200
      WILSON'S STORM-PETREL- 5
      ASHY STORM-PETREL- 7000
      BLACK STORM-PETREL- 30
      BROWN PELICAN- 60
      BRANDT'S CORMORANT- 200
      PELAGIC CORMORANT- 3
      HARLEQUIN DUCK- 2
      WHIMBREL- 12
      BLACK TURNSTONE- 3
      WILLET- 2
      DOWITCHER sp.- 4
      RED-NECKED PHALAROPE- 50
      SOUTH POLAR SKUA- 5
      POMARINE JAEGER- 6
      PARASITIC JAEGER- 5
      PARASITIC/LONG-TAILED JAEGER- 1
      HEERMANNS' GULL- 200
      CALIFORNIA GULL- 30
      WESTERN GULL- 300
      SABINE'S GULL- 1
      ELEGANT TERN- 40
      COMMON TERN- 6
      COMMON MURRE- 45
      RHINOCEROS AUKLET- 70
      SEA OTTER- 6
      CALIFORNIA SEA LION- 150
      HARBOR SEAL- 12
      HUMPBACK WHALE- 22
      COMMON DOLPHIN- 2
      NORTHERN RIGHT WHALE DOLPHIN- 80
      PACIFIC WHITE-SIDED DOLPHIN- 300
      DALL'S PORPOISE- 12
      OCEAN SUNFISH- 6

      Shearwaters forever,
      Debra

      Debra Shearwater
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527
      debi@...
      www.shearwaterjourneys.com

      *Antarctica, South Georgia, & The Falkland Islands, January 5-24, 2010*
      Shearwater Journeys' Exclusive Charter