LA Audubon monthly meeting, 9/10/08

  • Nicholas Freeman
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2008
      Hi Birders

      Los Angeles Audubon resumes its monthly meetings beginning Wednesday
      September 10, 2008. I hope you enjoyed some fantastic birding
      adventures this past summer!

      You are cordially invited to attend our monthly meeting at Plummer
      Park, 7377 Santa Monica Blvd., West Hollywood, CA 90046 in the
      community building, room 6. The meeting starts at 7:30am. The
      nature store is open for shopping before and after the meeting.
      Refreshments will be served after the presenter's talk.

      Our speaker is Dr. Jordan Karubian:

      Ground-cuckoos, Umbrellabirds and other rain forest delights:
      highlights from five years of research and conservation work in the
      Ecuadorian Choco.

      Dr. Jordan Karubian spent four years living and working in the Choco
      rain forests of northwest Ecuador from 2001 - 2005. Choco rain
      forests house a stunning diversity of flora and fauna and are a world-
      wide conservation priority. For example, the Choco has the highest
      number of endemic species of bird (62) of any habitat type in the
      western hemisphere. Many of these species are spectacular, very
      poorly known, and at risk of extinction due to habitat loss. Dr.
      Karubian devoted his time in Ecuador to the research and conservation
      of several of these species, including the Long-wattled Umbrellabird,
      the Banded Ground-cuckoo, Macaws, and the Brown Wood-rail. He also
      started a training, education, and sustainable development program
      that has made significant advances for the conservation of these
      species and the habitat they depend on. Now an Associate Researcher
      at UCLA, Dr. Karubian will summarize his research and conservation
      work on these and other species, with lots of pretty pictures and
      video to boot!

      For adventurers like me and Nick, the neotropics is one of the most
      enjoyable ways to experience abundant birdlife. Jordan's talk will
      sure inspire planning your next birding vacation.

      See you there!

      Mary Freeman
      Glendale, CA
      President and Programs Chair for Los Angeles Audubon
      Join us in celebrating our Centennial in 2010
      http://losangelesaudubon.org