LAAS Channel Islands pelagic, October 18

  • feenstra@alumni.caltech.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2008
      Birders,

      October 18 is the last pelagic trip offered by the Los Angeles Audubon
      Society for 2008. This will be a 9 hour trip around the northern Channel
      Islands leaving from Ventura Harbor. At this time of year shearwater
      numbers (Pink-footed, Sooty, and Black-vented) and overall bird diversity
      are typically high and big feeding swarms of birds and dolphin are
      present. Past trips have produced Flesh-footed and Manx Shearwaters
      amongst the feeding flocks. A Brown Booby was perched on the rocks of
      Anacapa Island in 2002, and we'll take a look for the American
      Oystercatcher that is occasionally foraging on those east end rocks.
      Expected birds include Pink-footed, Sooty, and Black-vented Shearwaters,
      Sabine's Gull, Parasitic and Pomarine Jaegers, Common Murre, and Cassin's
      and Rhinoceros Auklets.

      See here for registration info and official description:
      http://losangelesaudubon.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=264&Itemid=90

      Please act as soon as possible, and I hope to see you aboard.

      Jon Feenstra
      Los Angeles