Re: (Neveda County) Ruby-throated Hummingbird day 8, Saturday 30 August 2008

  • Mike Feighner
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2008
      Birders:

      Yesterday I was the first to arrive at 8:40 AM. I am not aware of
      observations for today, 31 August 2008, but would expect/hope that sightings
      continued today, 31 August 2008.

      Saturday, 30 August 2008:

      First bird to arrive was a single male Anna's Hummingbird.

      Male Ruby-throated Hummingbird's first arrival was at 8:57 AM with a visit
      to the feeder over the deck. It departed to the north at 8:57 AM.

      Other birders began arriving: Jim Rowoth (of Stockton, San Joaquin County),
      Liz West (of Galt, Sacramento County), Bev Beck (of Sanger, Fresno County),
      Lynn Hemink (of Clovis, Fresno County), Pete Fahey (of Clovis, Fresno
      County), Bruce Web (of Granite Bay, Placer County), Steve Abbott (of
      Cameron Park, El Dorado County), Mark Fenner and family (of Rancho Cordova,
      Sacramento County).

      The male Ruby-throated Hummingbird made four additional visits to the feeder
      over the deck, to the Madrone Tree above the deck, and to a small Cherry
      Tree near the bird bath through 11:26 AM when I departed.

      Recorded AM visit times (with exits always to the north):

      8:57-8:59
      9:32-9:36
      10:03-10:04
      10:34-10:35
      10:44-10:58

      There are nine previously accepted records of Ruby-throated Hummingbird in
      California, the first being adult male, caught accidentally in a mist net
      intended to trap bats at Sagehen Creek Field Station (Nevada County) on 15
      May 1975.

      Other species heard or seen:

      Red-shouldered Hawk (heard only)
      Anna's Hummingbird (seen)
      Acorn Woodpecker (heard only)
      Downie Woodpecker (heard only)
      Pileated Woodpecker (heard only)
      Steller's Jay (heard only)
      Chestnut-backed Chickadee (heard only)
      Brown Creeper (heard only)
      Red-breasted Nuthatch (seen)
      Dark-eyed Junco (seen)

      contact information.

      --
      Mike Feighner, Livermore, CA, Alameda County
      www.tanageroptics.com (under development, stand-by)