RFI: Need input for Monterey to Salton Sea to San Diego trip mid-September

  • Ann Oliver
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2008
      Hi Folks in CalBirds,
      My husband and I are planning our first trip to Southern California.
      Needless to say, we are excited and overwhelmed. If anyone has time to
      look over our itinerary, we'd be appreciative. Please respond
      PRIVATELY off the list-serve.
      Given news of recent fires, unfamiliarity with the area, and long
      stretches through mountains, we're uncertain if our route is
      advisable. We are looking for California specialties more than Eastern
      We have the 2007 and 1998 editions of Schram's A Birder's Guide to
      Southern California published by ABA and Kemper's Birding in Northern
      California (2001) published by Falcon. We're trying to combine
      sections of the suggested itineraries from Schram's book.
      I'm listing several locations for each day. We realize we won't be
      able to thoroughly bird every location, but if you have a particular
      recommendation (or restaurant suggestion) please chime in! We might
      camp part of the trip because Schram's book mentions good birding at
      several campgrounds.
      Also, if you notice any place or habitat we might be duplicating,
      please let us know (for example skip Lancaster Sewage Ponds and spend
      more time at San Jacinto Wildlife Area?).
      Here goes... and thanks in advance to anyone who has time to help.

      Day One: (late afternoon/evening): Elkhorn Slough, Moss Landing,
      Moonlight Dairy. Night in Monterey.

      Day Two: Shearwater Pelagic. Night in Monterey.

      Day Three AM: San Simeon Coast.

      Day Three PM: Morro Bay SP, Montana de Oro SP, Oceano, Los Alamos
      County Park. Night west of Santa Barbara (? Refugio State Beach).

      Day Four AM: Refugio State Beach, Devereux Slough, Goleta Sanitary
      District, SB Harbor breakwater.

      Day Four PM: Channel Islands Harbor, Sod farms on Oxnard Plain &
      nearby tamarisk rows (are those the tallest trees around?: I need to
      look at a tree ID book prior to our trip!), Big Sycamore Canyon in
      Point Mugu SP.
      *** Dilemma: At this point, could we drive directly (118 to I-5 to
      14) in mid-to-late afternoon to Galileo Hill to bird Butterbredt
      Spring and Silver Saddle Resort the next morning... or.... take an
      indirect route on Rt 33 north through the Mt. Pinos area... or should
      we collapse for the night at Point Mugu SP?

      Day Five AM (if spend night at Silver Saddle): Butterbredt Spring,
      Galileo Hill, Central Park

      Day Five PM: Lancaster Sewage Ponds and then drive to San Jacinto
      Wildlife Area. Night in Banning area.

      Day Six AM: Big Morongo Canyon, San Jacinto Mountains.

      Day Six PM: Whitewater River Delta. Night in either Calipatria or

      Day Seven AM: Brawley, south end of Salton Sea, Ramer and Finney Lake.

      Day Seven PM: Head toward San Diego, San Dieguito River Park at
      Lake Hodges early evening. Night in San Diego.

      Day Eight AM: San Dieguito River Park (if missed California
      Gnatcatcher), Mission Bay and North San Diego Area.

      Day Eight Afternoon: fly home

      Target birds: If you've actually read this far down in my post, keep
      going and thanks! We're following recent posts for these species.
      Mountain Quail
      Pacific Golden-plover
      Wandering Tattler
      Yellow-footed Gull