Gull ID HELP!

  • Jamie Mullin
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 15, 2008
      Help please, I have some but I also have my reservations, any help is
      appreciated.
      Jamie Mullin
      Groveland, CA

      ps. Photos and nformation are here!
      <http://www.aves101.com/gull>
    • Bruce Webb
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 15, 2008
        Jamie: Your photos show a California Gull in juvenile plumage . By
        mid -September/October the bill will change from being solidly dark to the
        more familiar bicolored pattern. Because they breed in the Great Basin,
        young California Gulls begin to appear months before immatures of other,
        more northern species.

        The juvenile plumage is nicely illustrated with several photos in the
        Peterson Reference Guide: Gulls of The Americas by Steve N. G. Howell and
        Jon Dunn. 2007.

        Bruce Webb
        Granite Bay, CA
        U.S. Distributor for eBird compatible Software products
        http://home.surewest.net/bruwebb/Pocket-PC.htm