Re: [CALBIRDS] Hawaiian Petrel photos from Ft. Bragg 8 August 2008

  • Joseph Morlan
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 15, 2008
      On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 13:02:35 -0700, "Ken Burton" <brdnrd@...>
      wrote:

      >Why is this bird (or are these birds)
      >being called Hawaiian unequivocally and not "Dark-rumped" or
      >Galapagos/Hawaiian?

      I'm not sure how "unequivocal" they are, but the photos seem to me to fit
      the criteria for Hawaiian Petrel suggested by Force et al. (Identification
      at sea of Hawaiian and Galapagos Petrels, Western Birds 38:242-248, 2007).
      Having just returned from the Galapagos where I had a chance to study
      dozens of Galapagos Petrels at sea, I agree with Force et al. that the two
      forms are distinguishable in the field and in good photos.

      --
      Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
      Birding Classes start Sep 9 in SF http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/