Hawaiian Petrel photos from Ft. Bragg 8 August 2008

  • Leslie Lieurance
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 15, 2008
      Photographers Clay Kempf and Johnny Powell have kindly provided their
      photos from the August 8 sightings of Hawaiian Petrel out of Ft. Bragg,
      CA.

      http://www.shearwaterjourneys.com/images/FtBragg080808.html

      Clay's shots are from the 1st sighting. Johnny covered the second
      sighting. Is it the same bird?

      No photos were obtained from the third sighting.

      Les Lieurance
      San Francisco
    • Ken Burton
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 15, 2008
        All right, I just have to ask....Why is this bird (or are these birds)
        being called Hawaiian unequivocally and not "Dark-rumped" or
        Galapagos/Hawaiian? Last I heard, the CBRC (and, as far as I know, the
        AOU) will not accept specific identification of this species pair
        without a specimen, despite everyone's conclusions that Hawaiian seems
        to be what we get. Did I miss something?

        I have not analyzed these photos to draw my own conclusions.

        Ken Burton
        Arcata

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 15, 2008
          On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 13:02:35 -0700, "Ken Burton" <brdnrd@...>
          wrote:

          >Why is this bird (or are these birds)
          >being called Hawaiian unequivocally and not "Dark-rumped" or
          >Galapagos/Hawaiian?

          I'm not sure how "unequivocal" they are, but the photos seem to me to fit
          the criteria for Hawaiian Petrel suggested by Force et al. (Identification
          at sea of Hawaiian and Galapagos Petrels, Western Birds 38:242-248, 2007).
          Having just returned from the Galapagos where I had a chance to study
          dozens of Galapagos Petrels at sea, I agree with Force et al. that the two
          forms are distinguishable in the field and in good photos.

          --
          Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
          Birding Classes start Sep 9 in SF http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/