BODEGA CANYON & CORDELL BANK: AUGUST 12 WITH SHEARWATER JOURNEYS

  • DEBRA SHEARWATER
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 2008
      Hello, Seabirders,

      Shearwater Journey's August 12, 2008 pelagic trip to Bodega Canyon
      and Cordell Bank was highlighted with amazing views of XANTUS'
      MURRELET spotted by leader Gerry McChesney on the water in some
      pretty choppy seas! It was a rough day at sea with winds from the
      northwest and a fairly consistent sea surface temperature of 52F.
      Nevertheless, we did manage to find some scattered ASHY STORM-PETRELS
      and a few FORK-TAILED STORM-PETRELS, and had a grand slam on all of
      the jaegers: POMARINE, PARASITIC, LONG-TAILED, and a single SOUTH
      POLAR SKUA. It was a tough day of seabirding. August trips can be
      like that, or, they can be flat calm. Roll the dice!

      We thank all of the participants who ventured out on this trip. The
      leaders were: Lisa Hug, Alan Hopkins, Matt Brady, Gerry McChesney,
      Steve Howell, and Debra Shearwater.

      Our next trips from Bodega Bay are OCTOBER 9 & 17. To make a
      reservation, please send a check to Debra Shearwater, PO Box 190,
      Hollister, CA 95024. You will receive a return confirmation letter
      with details of the trip.

      The complete species list for AUGUST 12, 2008 BODEGA CANYON & CORDELL
      BANK FOLLOWS:

      PACIFIC LOON- 1
      WESTERN GREBE- 1
      BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS- 38
      NORTHERN FULMAR- 28
      PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER- 60
      SOOTY SHEARWATER- 25
      FORK-TAILED STORM-PETREL- 4
      ASHY STORM-PETREL- 80
      BROWN PELICAN- 25
      BRANDT'S CORMORANT- +
      PELAGIC CORMORANT- 2
      RED-NECKED PHALAROPE- 12
      SOUTH POLAR SKUA- 1
      POMARINE JAEGER- 10
      PARASITIC JAEGER- 2
      PARASITIC/LONG-TAILED JAEGER- 1
      LONG-TAILED JAEGER- 18
      HEERMANN'S GULL- 25
      CALIFORNIA GULL- 50
      WESTERN GULL- 50
      SABINE'S GULL- 5
      COMMON MURRE- 38
      PIGEON GUILLEMOT- 20
      XANTUS' MURRELET- 2
      CASSIN'S AUKLET- 18
      RHINOCEROS AUKLET- 6
      CALIFORNIA SEA LION- 3
      PACIFIC WHITE-SIDED DOLPHIN- 16
      HARBOR PORPOISE- 2

      Spaces are still available on our upcoming trips from Monterey on
      August 15, 22, and 29. Please call Linda Terrill at 408/353-8036 for
      a reservation.

      Shearwaters forever,

      Debra Shearwater
      PO Box 190