Long-billed Murrelet update & Pacific Loons (Humboldt Co.)

  • Ken Burton
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 8 11:47 AM
      The molting adult LONG-BILLED MURRELET (LBMU) that has been seen
      repeatedly off Humboldt Bay over the past three weeks was about 1/4 mile
      off the north side of the Eel River mouth this morning. I did not see
      the alternate-plumaged LBMU found with this bird yesterday.

      The bird was essentially brown and showed distinctly white throat and
      scapulars. The white foreneck was not obvious due to the bird's posture
      and the distance was too great to assess bill length or see eye-arcs.
      All other murrelets in the vicinity had brown throat and scapulars.

      I saw it from the beach after kayaking across the estuary from Crab
      Park, at the end of Cannibal Island Road in Loleta. The site is also
      accessible on foot or by 4WD from Table Bluff Beach or on foot from
      Ocean Ranch, both much farther away.

      Also present were three PACIFIC LOONS.

      Ken Burton
      Arcata
    • Elias Elias
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 8 2:17 PM
        Hi ken,

        The darker bird is closer in looks to the bird that we saw. The paler
        bird is a here-to-fore unseen bird.

        Good job refinding it.

        Elias Elias
        HOME: 141 G Street Arcata, CA 95521
        WORK: USDA Forest Service, Redwood Sciences Lab., Bird Monitoring Lab.,
        1700 Bayview Drive Arcata CA 95521
        (559) 433-7254 walkie-talkie
        fabflockfinder@...

        My status <skype:eliasaelias?chat>
        Get Skype <http://www.skype.com/go/download> and call me for free.

        Ken Burton wrote:

        > The molting adult LONG-BILLED MURRELET (LBMU) that has been seen
        > repeatedly off Humboldt Bay over the past three weeks was about 1/4 mile
        > off the north side of the Eel River mouth this morning. I did not see
        > the alternate-plumaged LBMU found with this bird yesterday.
        >
        > The bird was essentially brown and showed distinctly white throat and
        > scapulars. The white foreneck was not obvious due to the bird's posture
        > and the distance was too great to assess bill length or see eye-arcs.
        > All other murrelets in the vicinity had brown throat and scapulars.
        >
        > I saw it from the beach after kayaking across the estuary from Crab
        > Park, at the end of Cannibal Island Road in Loleta. The site is also
        > accessible on foot or by 4WD from Table Bluff Beach or on foot from
        > Ocean Ranch, both much farther away.
        >
        > Also present were three PACIFIC LOONS.
        >
        > Ken Burton
        > Arcata

      • Ken Burton
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 8 4:11 PM
          That's what I thought, too, after comparing Kerry's and Jeff's photos,
          but when I asked Kerry about it he said that the bird Jeff photographed
          had more white on the foreparts so must have been the paler bird at an
          earlier stage of molt.

          Ken Burton
          Arcata