Lassen National Park

  • Richard Cimino
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2008
      Dave Bowden and I drove through Lassen National on our way home to the bay
      area.
      We found a few good birding spots to share with you driving south on Hy89.
      One is the corner of HY89 and Cassel Rd. is good for all swallow species
      (no bank swallows), Cassin finches, Goldfinches, Bluebirds and sparrows.
      The first Vista stop ( large blue sign ) follow the photographers black top
      trail, we had great viewing of.
      Dusky Flycatchers, three together ( family unit ? )
      MacGillivarys Warbler.
      Green-tailed Towhee with a single juvenile
      Fox Sparrow- Thick Billed
      Cassin Finch
      Western wood Pewee's
      Common Night Hawks
      At the park headquarters we had:
      Rufous Hummingbird
      Red breasted Nuthatch - five - one adult and four young.
      White Breasted Nuthatch
      Audubon Warbler
      Brown Creeper
      A ranger told us we just missed a Bald Eagle on Manzanita which was chased
      off by an Osprey.
      This ranger told us his Summit Lake bird species life list count is 100 +
      species not bad for 8000 ft el.
      We stopped at Hat Lake always a good spot, we had:
      Eight plus (+) Spotted Sandpipers 4 adults and four young.
      Greater Yellowlegs
      Cassin Finches
      Fox Sparrow
      Violet Green Swallows
      Western Wood Pewee
      Yellow-rumped Warblers
      Red-breasted sapsucker
      Western Tanager
      On to Summit Lake to see if we could re-locate the Black-backed Woodpecker
      and Grey Jay reported two weeks ago.
      No luck.
      But there was a Spotted Sandpiper in the wet depression behind camp site
      B16.
      We closed out the weekend with Mountain Bluebird, a Female Williams
      Sapsucker and an Osprey at 8000 ft. fishing a stream.
      Rich Cimino, Alameda County

      Richard Cimino
      Pleasanton, Alameda County, Cal.