HY 299 Burney to Caderville -

  • Richard Cimino
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2008
      Saturday August 2, Dave Bowden of Berkeley and I compiled a traveling count
      of the HY299 corridor.
      We covered three counties Shasta, Lassen and Modoc.
      The high lights are:
      In Shasta County out side of Pittville a shallow farm pond we had
      White-faced Ibis, Wilson Phalarope, Greater Yellowlegs and Western
      Sandpipers.
      In Lassen County near Nubieber we had a Bald Eagle, Green Herons, White
      Pelicans and more White-faced Ibis.
      Modoc county 18 miles from the town of Adin, pass Brushy Rd. look for a
      U.S. Geological Stream gauging station on the Pit River.
      This is road marker 18.3, there will be three old stone bridge foundation
      there ( there is no longer a bridge).
      There is a row of Red thistle growing along the road on the rivers side.
      We spent an hour here:
      Rufous Hummingbirds - 3 maybe 4 .
      Calliope Hummingbird female- 1
      Broad-tailed Hummingbird female-1
      Dave has photos of the three Hummingbirds, showing good details of the
      throats and buff flanking on both birds.
      Also here is a family of 5 the Interior Western Scrub Jay's -Woodhouse sub
      species two adults and three juveniles.
      Spotted Sandpiper
      Wood Ducks (2)
      Kingfisher
      Not far from here we had our only Black-billed Magpie for the entire trip.
      We visited the Modoc Wildlife Refuge a few miles outside of Alturas which
      has a good auto tour route.
      Here we had 11 Sand Hill Cranes, Black-crown Night Herons , Lesser Scup,
      Harrier, White faced Ibis and Yellow-headed Black Birds.
      In Caderville a private resident had a Rufous Hummer.
      On our return very near the summit of Cedar Pass 6305 el. go west, in an
      open meadow we spotted a large brown Accipiter.
      Dave stopped the car on a dime. We jumped out to id.the bird, we had a
      juvenile Northern Goshawk with a song bird in it's talons.
      Near Adin we discovered a small group of Pronghorn Antelope, nine females
      and one four point male.
      We stopped often and talked with many local folks and all were very
      interested in what we were seeing.
      One rancher gave info on sage grouse, sand hill cranes, antelope, elk and
      his cows.
      We happen on the web designer for the Basin & Range Birding Trail guide in
      the Alturas Muesum.
      She was knowlegeable on Sage Grouse locations, plus. Go to:
      www.basinrangebirdingtrail.com
      Rich Cimino, Alameda County

      Richard Cimino
      Pleasanton, Alameda County, Cal.