MONTEREY PELAGIC TRIP: JULY 25, 2008

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 2008
      Hello, Seabirders,

      It's here� fall seabird migration has begun!! The first fall migrant
      SABINE'S GULLS showed up on our July 25, 2008 pelagic trip from
      Monterey Bay. It was a day full of seabirds, from the moment we
      departed the dock, finding the LONG-TAILED DUCK, until we returned
      to the harbor in the late afternoon, finding the HARLEQUIN DUCK� with
      thousands of shearwaters throughout the day. Highlights included: 62
      BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSSES (one with a numbered leg band of a bird
      banded in Hawaii), 44 PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATERS, and 15-20,000 SOOTY
      SHEARWATERS. The nesting BRANDT'S CORMORANTS in the harbor both on
      the Coast Guard jetty and the commercial fishing boat, had nearly
      full-grown youngsters. A sprinkling of RED-NECKED PHALAROPES were
      returning from their northern breeding grounds. Only 2 CASSIN'S
      AUKLETS, and no Rhinoceros Auklets were found. The oddity of the day
      was an oiled ANCIENT MURRELET off of Otter Point. This chocolate
      covered bird stumped us until we got much better views, and could
      confirm its identity with the use of digital photographs. ELEGANT
      TERNS were in view throughout the day, while 1 POMARINE JAEGER made a
      show at the day's end. Many COMMON MURRES, father/chick pairs were
      calling back and forth to each other. The chicks are notably smaller
      than the adults, making them an identification challenge for the
      beginner seabirders who often mistake these chicks for murrelets. In
      the gull department: a single juvenile RING-BILLED GULL was in the
      harbor and 2 Western-Glaucous-winged Gulls were offshore. SEA OTTERS
      put on a fantastic show, feeding on crabs in the harbor with their
      pups. HUMPBACK WHALES, NORTHERN RIGHT WHALE DOLPHINS and PACIFIC
      WHITE-SIDED DOLPHINS made our day very interesting.

      This was just the tip of the fall season, which should progress as
      the weeks more along. There is a LOT of food in Monterey Bay. And,
      reports of great swarms of krill at Cordell Bank have been reported.
      So, it looks it is going to be a great season for seabirding. Our
      next trip, is this Friday from Bodega Bay, August 1. If you are
      interested in this trip, please contact me by email noon on July 31st
      for a reservation. Spaces are available on the August 12th trip from
      Bodega Bay as well. Our August 10th trip to the Farallon Islands is
      sold out. The line up of trips is as follows:

      BODEGA BAY:
      AUG 1, Leaders: Lisa Hug, Jennifer Green, Alan Hopkins, Steve Howell,
      Matt Brady, Ryan Terrill, Don Doolittle, Debra Shearwater
      AUG 12, Leaders: Lisa Hug, John Sterling, Alan Hopkins, Gerry
      McChesney, Steve Howell, Debra Shearwater
      OCT 9, Leaders: John Sterling, Steve Howell, Lisa Hug, Debra Shearwater
      OCT 17, Leaders: Lisa Hug, Jennifer Green, John Sterling, Debra
      Shearwater

      FORT BRAGG:
      AUG 8, Leaders: Lisa Hug, Clay Kempf, Debra Shearwater
      AUG 10, Leaders: Lisa Hug, Linda Terrill, Scott Terrill, Clay Kempf,
      Debra Shearwater

      MONTEREY BAY:
      AUG 15, Leaders: Jennifer Green, Linda Terrill, Clay Kempf
      AUG 22, Leaders: Clay Kempf, John Sterling, Jennifer Green, Brian
      Sullivan, Debra Shearwater
      AUG 29, Leaders: Clay Kempf, Linda Terrill, Jennifer Green
      SEP 7, Leaders: Clay Kempf, Scott Terrill, Linda Terrill, Jennifer
      Green, Debra Shearwater (almost sold out)
      SEP 12, Leaders: Clay Kempf, Brian Sullivan, Debra Shearwater
      SEP 13, Leaders: Linda Terrill, Scott Terrill, John Sterling, Brian
      Sullivan, Debra Shearwater, ALBACORE trip.
      SEP 14, Leaders: Linda Terrill, Scott Terrill, John Sterling, Clay
      Kempf, Debra Shearwater
      SEP 15, Leaders: Clay Kempf, Debra Shearwater
      SEP 22, Leaders: David Vander Pluym, David Wimpfheimer, Debra Shearwater
      SEP 25, Leaders: Jim Danzenbaker, Steve Howell, Debra Shearwater
      SEP 26, Leaders: David Suddjian, Steve Gerow, Jennifer Green, Steve
      Howell, Debra Shearwater. This trip departs from SANTA CRUZ, a great
      location for folks coming from the Bay Area.
      SEP 27, Leaders: Linda Terrill, Scott Terrill, Steve Howell, Debra
      Shearwater
      SEP 28, Leaders: Jennifer Green, Steve Howell, Debra Shearwater
      OCT 3, Leaders: Clay Kempf, Jennifer Green, Debra Shearwater
      OCT 4, Leaders: Clay Kempf, Debra Shearwater
      OCT 5, Leaders: Linda Terrill, Scott Terrill, Debra Shearwater
      OCT 9, Leaders: John Sterling, Lisa Hug, Steve Howell, Debra Shearwater
      OCT 12, Leaders: Clay Kempf, Scott Terrill, Linda Terrill, John
      Sterling, Jennifer Green, Debra Shearwater. This trip departs from
      SANTA CRUZ.
      OCT 17, Leaders: John Sterling, Lisa Hug, Jennifer Green, Debra
      Shearwater
      OCT 18, Leaders: Linda Terrill, Scott Terrill, Clay Kempf, Debra
      Shearwater
      NOV 29, Leaders: Clay Kempf, Scott Terrill, Linda Terrill, Jennifer
      Green, Debra Shearwater

      We thank all of the participants of the July 25th trip. The leaders
      for this day were: Jennifer Green, John Hiles, John Sterling, Brian
      Sullivan, Steve Howell, and Debra Shearwater. The full species list
      follows:

      JULY 25, 2008 MONTEREY BAY
      COMMON LOON- 2
      BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS- 62
      PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER- 44
      SOOTY SHEARWATER- 15-20,000
      BROWN PELICAN- 200
      BRANDT'S CORMORANT- 1000
      PELAGIC CORMORANT- 4
      LONG-TAILED DUCK- 1
      HARLEQUIN DUCK- 1
      LONG-BILLED CURLEW- 2
      RED-NECKED PHALAROPE- 68
      POMARINE JAEGER- 1
      HEERMANN'S GULL- 250
      RING-BILLED GULL- 1 juv.
      WESTERN GULL- 200
      WESTERN/GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULL- 2
      SABINE'S GULL- 7
      ELEGANT TERN- 200
      CASPIAN TERN- 3
      COMMON MURRE- 500+
      PIGEON GUILLEMOT- 27
      ANCIENT MURRELET- 1, oiled bird, off of Otter Point, near the kelp beds
      CASSIN'S AUKLET- 2
      SEA OTTER- 22
      CALIFORNIA SEA LION- 200
      HARBOR SEAL- 16
      HUMPBACK WHALE- 8
      NORTHERN RIGHT WHALE DOLPHIN- 20
      PACIFIC WHITE-SIDED DOLPHIN- 45
      OCEAN SUNFISH- 1

      Shearwaters forever,
      Debra

      Debra Shearwater
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527
      debi@...
      www.shearwaterjourneys.com

      *Antarctica, South Georgia, & The Falkland Islands, January 5-24, 2010*
      Shearwater Journeys' Exclusive Charter