Fwd: [SDBIRDS] Red-necked Stint photos, 23 July 2008, San Diego Bay [M. Sadowski]

  • Michael Evans
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23 6:04 PM
      Begin forwarded message:

      From: "Matt Sadowski" <matt.sadowski@...>
      Date: July 23, 2008 5:25:31 PM PDT
      To: <sdbirds@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [SDBIRDS] Red-necked Stint photos, 23 July 2008, San Diego Bay

      I got to work early this morning and had to wait for a coworker so I
      grabbed my coffee and took a stroll along the mudflats.
      Shorebird numbers were low so I wasn't expecting much until I saw a
      rather reddish-throated Calidris foraging in the distance on the
      upper/drier part of the mudflat. My first thought was stint but the
      rational part of my brain was saying "calm down, it's just a
      Sanderling". As the the bird crossed paths with a Western Sandpiper
      (showing relative size) that thought process was put to a halt.
      Eventually I could see it was rather fatter looking than a WESA with
      shorter legs, the posture being more like Least Sandpiper
      (although obviously larger). The face was pale with a pale red wash on
      the throat and spots below that on the sides of the breast. I
      started taking many docu-shots from a distance. Since my phone had
      just informed me that it had run out of minutes it was at this
      point that I realized I would need to leave the bird and find a pay
      phone.

      Luckily the bird stayed on the mudflats until about 11:00 and I was
      able to get some closer shots before it flew to the sandspit
      southeast of the mudflat, where we left it.

      Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/68911779@N00/

      Driving past later, during the peak of the high tide, I did not see
      any birds roosting on the sandspit so the small shorebirds
      either roosted somewhere in the drier Least Tern nesting area
      (restricted) to the south or somewhere else altogether. Hopefully the
      bird is back out there right now (17:22, tide dropping). There is no
      point in looking for it during high tide because even if it was
      roosting somewhere in the area it would not be readily visible from
      the bike path viewpoint.

      Google map: http://tinyurl.com/5wf6pn

      Matt Sadowski
      Chula Vista