Buena Vista Audubon Deep Water Trip Report on Grande July 20, 2008

  • Terry Hunefeld
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22, 2008
      Greetings SoCal Seabirders

      The Buena Vista Audubon SoCalBirding pelagic trip this past weekend
      produced lifers for many participants in the form of a drop-dead
      close-up Craveri's Murrelet complete with "Sora cottontail" and 22
      Xantus's Murrelets, of which 12 were ssp hypoleucus, many with close-
      up views. Multiple Red-billed Tropicbirds flew over and around the
      boat while nine Black-footed Albatrosses shadowed us much of the
      day. A preliminary species list follows at the end of this posting.

      The Labor Day week Searcher 5-day trip to the Channel Islands and the
      Continental Shelf edge is SOLD OUT. Call Celia Condit to be added to
      the wait list. (619) 226-2403
      http://tinyurl.com/28d8hf

      The October Buena Vista Audubon deep-water double-overnight trip to
      the Cortez & Tanner Bank is SOLD OUT. There are still spaces
      available on the ¾ day trip to the Coronados Islands on the morning
      of October 4. Visit http://www.SoCalBirding.com to reserve a space
      for the ¾ day trip, or telephone Point Loma Sportfishing Landing to
      be added to the wait list for the double-overnight trip. (619) 223-
      1627

      Buena Vista Audubon is planning ANOTHER DOUBLE OVERNIGHT pelagic on
      Sat & Sun, November 1&2, very probably with a different itinerary
      than the double-headers of May and October. We are considering
      departing early Saturday morning, hitting the Coronados islands to
      check out the booby colony (and check for rogue booby species) and
      then continue directly to deep water without returning to port
      Saturday afternoon. This will give us a full 48 hours at sea and get
      us further out – possibly all the way to the shelf edge, weather and
      seas permitting. We'll post to this listserv when details are
      available, no later than next week.

      THE ONLY DEEP WATER PELAGIC TRIP (WITH SPACE AVAILABLE) scheduled to
      depart SoCal before the November Grande trip is the L.A. AUDUBON
      CONDOR EXPRESS trip to the San Juan Seamount. I was told that if
      this trip does not get 25 more reservations by the end of July, it
      will be cancelled, which will be a shame because it has produced some
      phenomenal finds over the years. Species that have been seen out
      there in the past several years have included Cook's Petrel (10 SEP
      2005), Hawaiian Petrel (6 SEP 2006), Streaked Shearwater (2002),
      Buller's Shearwater (annual), Wilson's Storm-Petrel (2003), Fork-
      tailed Storm-Petrel (2003). The first Short-tailed Albatross of the
      century was seen in SoCal 90 miles off shore on 28 Aug 1977, with
      another seen near Santa Barbara Island 19 Feb – 22 Mar, 2002 and one
      near Santa Cruz Island 5 Jul 2005. A Bulwer's Petrel was seen
      September 4, 2003 off San Clemente Island and probably in the Santa
      Barbara Channel 5 SEP 2007. A Red-TAILED Tropicbird was seen 6 Sep
      2003 on a Searcher expedition. Of course, if we get even one of the
      rarities or mega-rarities, we'll be lucky, and none are guaranteed or
      even probable, but it is funny how we ALWAYS see more rarities from
      the Condor Express than we do from our family rooms. 30 of us who
      have already signed up for the Condor Express are counting on YOU to
      join us to make this trip go. Please call the L.A. Audubon today or
      visit http://tinyurl.com/67s2ta

      PRELIMINARY TRIP LIST FROM GRANDE
      SUNDAY JULY 20

      BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS 9
      PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER 12
      SOOTY SHEARWATER 9
      BLACK STORM-PETREL 31
      LEACH'S STORM-PETREL 200+
      RED-BILLED TROPICBIRD 4
      SABINE'S GULL 5
      CASSIN'S AUKLET 2
      XANTUS'S MURRELET 22
      The Buena Vista Audubon wishes to thank our leaders for a great day
      at sea on Grande, so THANK YOU Todd McGrath, Paul Lehman, Guy
      McCaskie, Jon Feenstra, Matt Sadowski, Dave Pereksta and our Santa
      Barbara chummer, Wes Fritz.

      A big thank you to Matthew Sadowski who created a Google Map showing
      our route and the GPS locations of our sightings. I have uploaded a
      copy of Matt's handiwork to the files section of SDBirds.
      http://tinyurl.com/6nyeuw

      You need Google Earth on your computer to view this map. Download
      the file to your hard drive, then double-click it and it will open
      Google Earth with the map showing our track. Click anywhere on the
      track to see the species seen there.

      See you aboard Searcher, Grande or The Condor Express

      W. Terry Hunefeld
      Life is short.
      Bird often.

      http://www.SoCalBirding.com
      Pelagic Seabirding Trips From San Diego to:
      9-mile Bank
      Los Coronados Islands
      Cortes & Tanner Banks
      Channel Islands