Yuba Pass and Sierra Valley Sunday 7.20

  • Richard Cimino
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21, 2008
      Birding was good in the Yuba Pass Camp Grounds, found off of HY 49 in
      Sierra County.
      Four of arrived late Saturday afternoon into Yuba Pass camp grounds.
      Dave Bowden, Cheryl Pacheco, Jeff Miller and myself (Rich Cimino)
      At dusk we set out to find COMMON POORWILL and hopefully owls.
      We had a calling COMMON POORWILL at the Vista pull-out on HY49 but fail to
      find any birds to view.
      The ranchers are cutting their hay crop so we had hoped to find SHORT-EARED
      OWLS, we saw none
      In Sierra Valley was windy.
      Near 8PM, on Harriet Rd. we had a potential Common Poorwill on the road,
      best bird was a dark morph adult SWAINSON HAWK and at three different
      locations SANDHILL CRANE'S (6).
      SUNDAY MORNING> beginning at 6:30 AM Jeff Miller had two BLACK-BACKED
      WOODPECKER's in the meadow.
      Jeff followed the BBWP into the back side of the camp grounds but lost
      their location.
      One of the BLACK-BACKED WOODPECKER return into the meadow after 7AM and the
      four of us were able to watch the bird on a bare snag.
      ALSO OF INTEREST IN THE CAMP GROUND;
      OLIVE-SIDED FLYCATCHER
      HERMIT WARBLER
      TOWNSEND�S WARBLER
      ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER
      AUDUBON'S WARBLER
      WESTERN TANAGER
      Down in Sierra Valley around 9AM we had both VESPER SPARROW's (5) and
      BREWER�S SPARROW's (15) on the NW corner of Calpine Rd.and A23.
      Driving to Marble Hot Springs / Dyson we stopped a quarter mile south of
      the Plumas County line pulling into the dirt road on the west side of A23.
      Here in a matter minutes we had GRAY FLYCATCHER's (5) two adults and three
      young. We watched the adults feeding the JUVENILE GRAY FLYCATCHERS.
      Happy to report no brown cowbird juveniles.
      Entering Marble Hot Springs on Dyson Rd. SAGE THRASHER's appeared (5), more
      BREWER'S and VESPER'S SPARROWS long the fence line .
      Near the first small bridge SORA RAILS (2) showed for several minutes then
      at a low level an AMERICAN BITTERN flew in.
      Up a short distance to the second small bridge, LESSER YELLOWLEGS, WILSON
      PHALAROPES, COMMON SNIPES,MARSH WRENS AND YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS.
      Around the corner we had AMERICAN BITTERN, HORNED LARKS, WESTERN KINGBIRDS,
      SAGE THRASHER's (7) more VESPER, BREWER'S SPARROWS, SAVANNAH and SONG
      SPARROWS.
      On to the circa 1903 Bridge SANDHILL CRANES (2), VIRGINIA RAIL -JUVENILE
      (1), WHITE-FACED IBIS (27+), NORTHERN HARRIER (2), AMERICAN BITTERN (2)
      BARN OWL AND SWAINSON HAWKS (2).
      On to the Sierraville cemetery near HY49 and HY89 on HENRY DOTA Rd.
      Dave Bowden spotted VAUX'S SWIFT (2) feeding high with WHITE-THROATED SWIFT
      (2) and TREE SWALLOWS.
      Again Dave found SPOTTED SANDPIPERS (2) at the small ponds near the
      cemetery and a family of WESTERN WOOD-PEWEE'S (3) WESTERN BLUEBIRDS (9) and
      Dave tops the day off with finding a BALD EAGLE flying by.
      I omitted many common species like swallows and ducks, a total of 65
      species were recorded.
      The volume of VESPERS, BREWERS, SAVANNAH SPARROWS as well SAGE THRASHERS in
      fresh plumage deserves the closing comment for trip high light.

      Richard Cimino
      Pleasanton, Alameda County, Cal.